Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Chances are that brown foreman offered a good deal on both black and honey. Often times they will want case stacks or endcap facings of both honey and black in return for a good deal. The honey might be equal in facing because they have more stock of it.

In my store in the heart or bourbon country, black outsells honey 5 to 1 with Jd. The numbers are closer with wild turkey honey and 101.
    That's really useful specific information. Certainly 5:1 is not 3:2. I would be interested to hear big scale numbers too.

But at the risk of nudging the conversation away from endcaps, I have to say that the original point in the OP still stands. Even if it is, say, 5:1, that's still a lot people buying and consuming Red Stag, right? Sometimes it feels like we treat it like a pathetic little aberration around here, but in the real world, it sells big. I can't say that I have tried nor that I intend to, but we're not everybody.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    That's really useful specific information. Certainly 5:1 is not 3:2. I would be interested to hear big scale numbers too.

But at the risk of nudging the conversation away from endcaps, I have to say that the original point in the OP still stands. Even if it is, say, 5:1, that's still a lot people buying and consuming Red Stag, right? Sometimes it feels like we treat it like a pathetic little aberration around here, but in the real world, it sells big. I can't say that I have tried nor that I intend to, but we're not everybody.
    Those numbers were JD honey vs JD black. Take all three red stag flavors combined and beam 4yr outsells them 10:1. Keep in mind I am 15 miles from beam bourbon hq in clermont. If beam didn't treat us so well, all but cherry red stag would be disco'd. With beam
    honey coming, honey tea might still get the axe.

Advanced Taster

Whoops. Good catch.

But still, clearly, the basic point still stands. Whether it's Stag or the major label honey whiskeys (it appears to be the latter) at 1:5 or even closer, these sugared/flavored whiskey liqueur things sell better than we probably think they do. We may treat JD Honey and WT Honey like sideshow freaks around here, but they are not really marginal when it comes to mainstream consumption. Lots of people are buying and drinking this stuff, and SB.com doesn't really even register in 'lots of people'.
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 04-09-2013 at 02:16.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

Many of my favorite stores don't even HAVE endcaps...

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Clearly, they didn't have Malort.

Oh, they did. The effects of Malort are less dramatic after taking several hundred shots over the last couple years.

Now only if they had Malort flavored Stag...

Advanced Taster

I don't mind Red Stagg and always have a bottle on hand. I don't drink it straight, but I do enjoy it mixed with homemade lemonade and a sprig of mint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Many of my favorite stores don't even HAVE endcaps...
    Why bother with the last letter of a word. Saved them bunches on the sign.

Enthusiast

The name of the business is currently Sav-Mor Spirits, they didn't change the sign to reflect that. Inside, some reasonable chaos, a fantastic beer selection, a cement floor, a fun attitude; and outside, an infamous sign:

Advanced Taster

A timely story from Shanken News Daily:

http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/inde...million-cases/

"According to Impact Databank, Tennessee Honey ($22 a 750-ml.) advanced by 52% to 485,000 cases in the U.S. last year..."

Last time I checked, Maker's Mark is producing about one million cases. I knew flavored whiskey was popular, but I would have never guessed that it sells this well.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

You can hate the flavored products but you can't deny their success. This from Shanken today.

"According to Impact Databank, Tennessee Honey ($22 a 750-ml.) advanced by 52% to 485,000 cases in the U.S. last year, while its global net sales nearly doubled in the nine months through January, marking the first three-quarters of Brown-Forman’s fiscal year. In addition to the U.S., where off-premise growth has been accelerating, the U.K. is also driving global sales for the brand."

I don't think Red Stag is quite that high, but it's in the same ballpark. Compare that--400,000 to 500,000 cases--to something like Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey, which each sell about a million cases. Tennessee Honey, on the market for less than three years, is half the size of Maker's Mark, on the market for 50 years.

(Higgins and I appear to have posted simultaneously.)