Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Popularity of Flavored Whiskeys

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Is there any GNS in these things?
    Good catch. There almost has to be some in most/all of them, right? I mean, once it's flavored and all whiskey-category bets are off, who could resist?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Trippah and Admin

If they are listed as Whiskey with natural flavors then GNS should not be present. This was the case when Red Stag came out but I have not seen the labels on the others.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Beam identifies Red Stag as Straight Bourbon infused with natural flavors, so, no GNS which may be the case for high end flavored whiskys. With the market building though the cheaper ones could get by with as little as 20% of young whisky with the balance GNS and flavorings while still putting the word whisky on the label.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Was in a bar yesterday that had five or six bottles of Fireball on the back bar. I believe the bartender said they sell about 80 shots of it a night. And they had just sold out of Tennessee Honey. You do know there is now an Old Bushmills Honey and a Dewars Honey?

Seagram's Seven Dark Honey is flavored blended whiskey, so it contains GNS. If it's American and says 'blended' or 'a blend' on the label, then it's probably 80 percent vodka (GNS). If it just says 'whiskey,' but not 'blend' or 'blended,' it might be a lot of things, but it doesn't contain GNS.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Beam identifies Red Stag as Straight Bourbon infused with natural flavors, so, no GNS which may be the case for high end flavored whiskys. With the market building though the cheaper ones could get by with as little as 20% of young whisky with the balance GNS and flavorings while still putting the word whisky on the label.
    All the others call themselves Honey liqueur. (at least those i checked, EW, WT and Seagrams 7). Beam is the only that identifies itself as infused bourbon.

The cinnamon flavored whiskey <products> They all want to be in the whiskey/bourbon section and "next to jagermeister". Just like every cream style liqueur wants "to be next to Baileys".

The Fireball whiskey from Sazarac sells the best of those . It appeals to the younger crowd... I was in new orleans recently and it was the one sazarac (except taaka vodka) product that was in every bar on bourbon street. Diagio products dominated the rest of bourbon street.

Guru

That's their out then, I noticed the Jack Daniels version has "blended with" whisky on it's label.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Was in a bar yesterday that had five or six bottles of Fireball on the back bar. I believe the bartender said they sell about 80 shots of it a night. And they had just sold out of Tennessee Honey. You do know there is now an Old Bushmills Honey and a Dewars Honey?

Seagram's Seven Dark Honey is flavored blended whiskey, so it contains GNS. If it's American and says 'blended' or 'a blend' on the label, then it's probably 80 percent vodka (GNS). If it just says 'whiskey,' but not 'blend' or 'blended,' it might be a lot of things, but it doesn't contain GNS.

I just saw the Dewers honey yesterday, looks like everybody will join this party.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I was at TPS earlier and noticed Rebel Reserve in both cherry and honey. Since I was not interested, did not look to see if it said bourbon
    Last edited by Phil T; 04-15-2013 at 12:00.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

I'm going to a tasting of Carolina Cock Flavored Whiskey tomorrow. Curious about this one.

Guru

Is that really the name of it? They may want to rethink that.