Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Characteristics of Makers Mark

I've been studying the Whiskey Tree and puzzling over mashbills etc.

One thing I have not been able to discern is if Makers Mark is a wheater? Similar to Weller's?

I would appreciate any thoughts on characteristics of MM or tasting notes also. Thanks fo any help.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Characteristics of Makers Mark

Quote Originally Posted by justataste View Post
    I've been studying the Whiskey Tree and puzzling over mashbills etc.

One thing I have not been able to discern is if Makers Mark is a wheater? Similar to Weller's?

I would appreciate any thoughts on characteristics of MM or tasting notes also. Thanks fo any help.
    Although Maker's Mark is not the only wheated bourbon, nor was it the first, it probably is the best known wheated bourbon and known primarily for that, i.e., that's always been they're most publicized point-of-difference. Maker's Mark emphasizes no bitterness, no harsh hot flavors, just sweetness and, if not light, then candy, spice, and fruit flavors.

Rye adds spice and earthiness to a bourbon, so the main thing about wheaters isn't the presence of wheat so much as it is the absence of rye.

Connoisseur

To me they taste remarkably similar.

I doubt I could tell them apart in a blind taste test.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

And just to add to what chuck said above in reference to S-W I believe the MM recipe is derived from the original wHeated recipe used by S-W or maybe just one of their recipes. I don't know the specifics or how true that is so maybe someone more knowledgable can fill in the blacks.

Disciple

MM is the softest and most inviting to someone less antiquated with wheated bourbons even more so than the WSR.I find MM to be quite sweet,soft and almost buttery in nature not much char or barrel influence you would get versus Lot B,W12 or any of the PVW's,mainly due to it being around 6yrs. of age.All in all not a bad bourbon but for my money,OWA or W12 is a more suitable choice.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Rye adds spice and earthiness to a bourbon, so the main thing about wheaters isn't the presence of wheat so much as it is the absence of rye.
    That's what I thought, and that's why I don't understand why they bother with the wheat at all. There's no law that says bourbon has to have three grains (AFAIK).
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Taster

Thanks folks. I appreciate your gracious replies and the good info.

I think I am beginning to realize a trend for me in liking bourbons with higher rye percentage in the mashbill.

Although all this mashbill stuff is new to me. Still learning.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    That's what I thought, and that's why I don't understand why they bother with the wheat at all. There's no law that says bourbon has to have three grains (AFAIK).
    Using the customary bread analogy, plain white wheat bread has a delicate texture and flavor. Rye bread is more robust and has more in-your-face (so to speak) flavor. Just because wheat flavors are not as intense doesn't mean there are no flavors. Lots of us believe there is more than enough flavors in wheaters. Try a bottle of anything that says Weller on the label and see for yourself.
    If you deleted both wheat and rye as flavoring options, you're left with corn whiskey. Some SBers are fond of MellowCorn--but, by definition, it isn't bourbon.
    Last edited by Flyfish; 04-08-2013 at 17:52.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    If you deleted both wheat and rye as flavoring options, you're left with corn whiskey. Some SBers are fond of MellowCorn--but, by definition, it isn't bourbon.
    Wouldn't you still have barley, so a mix of corn and barley? I could be mistaken, but my undertanding of the standards of identity is that that could lead to bourbon. (And that unless the corn % is at least 80, it cannot be called corn whiskey.) Seems I also read something about a corn and barley product coming out from MGP, and I was assuming that would be called bourbon.

Connoisseur

I like both wheaters and high rye.

Just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Weller 12 is excellent, and MM is very good too. Between the two, like I said, I would have a hard time choosing, but Weller would probably win out.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway