Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

OGD 114 vs KC 120, your take?

new here......looking for others' opinions.

OGD 114 up against KC 120 proof. Ive tried them side by side several times now, and cant say I notice a huge difference in them. If anything, the KC seems slightly more refined and the OGD slightly rougher. But, I dont mind rough necessarily.

What are your takes on them? Both are Beams, right? both similar proofs. Im fairly new at bourbons but say the price difference is far more than the taste difference.

opinions?

Guru

Re: OGD 114 vs KC 120, your take?

They are both made by Beam but use different mashbills (OGD has almost twice as much rye grain) and different yeasts. To me Grand Dad has a more lean, fruity profile which I frankly prefer but that is a matter of taste.

Connoisseur

Both are A+ in my book, but I like the funky sweetness of KC a bit better on most occasions.

Advanced Taster

I'd say try them both if you can. I have had both, and for my money I'd go with OGD 114 at almost half the price of KC (in my area at least).

Eric

Connoisseur

Does anyone know the age of OGD 114? I know it is at least 4 years old, probably a bit older, maybe a mingling of some different aged whiskies. Anyway, I'd assumed that the price difference is mainly because the KC says 9 years old. My first bottle of KCSB was very strong on the cinnamon taste and not really typical of the other Beam stuff. I should have grabbed several. They usually don't put the barrel number on the label (unless it's a special selection for somebody). The more recent KCSBs I've tried were more like a barrel proof version of JB Black to me. I would have to say how much I like KCSB compared to OGD 114 depends on which barrel. I rank OGD 114, and the BIB version very high, higher than the regular KC.

Connoisseur

100 proof KC and 100 proof OGD taste similar to me too, but the KC is better. More complex, more oaky.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    100 proof KC and 100 proof OGD taste similar to me too, but the KC is better. More complex, more oaky.
    I just tasted them side by side. I revise that last statement. They are very different.

KC has an oilier mouthfeel, and a different profile. The rye influence is in both, but stronger in the OGD. KC has more oak, and quite a bit more "body" to it, with an interesting combination of different flavors that I don't get from OGD BiB.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Precisely Alden, they are both exemplar of their different styles.

Advanced Taster

I like both but find them too different (at least the specimens I have had) to keep just one or the other on the shelf. Sometimes I am in the mood for the dark, sweetly funky, embraceable char of the KCSB, and sometimes I want the tangy, almost-tropical richness of the OGD 114. Then again, tonight maybe I'll mix 'em.

Guru

Tropical richness, I'll have to remember that.