Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Jim Beam Black Label?

My local LS has it on sale, $19.95.

What does the hive mind think of this one?

I have heard it is quite a bit better than the standard white label product. I believe it is aged longer.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

Re: Jim Beam Black Label?

Squire likes it pretty well, but I'm not a big fan. There are way better bourbons for $20.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

It's a respectable pour. Good intro to the non-Bourbon initiated yet decent enough for a cheap pour that has some reasonable flavor. For $20...what the hell. Plus, it's good to have for company and mixers rather than use your premium pours.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

Hmmm... sounds pretty pedestrian.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

I like this bourbon. I kept a bottle of this around until I determined that a liter of OGD was a better use of $20 than a 750 of JB Black. It's a good bourbon of Jim Beam character (more pronounced than in Knob Creek). It performs very well with water.

Advanced Taster

It has become one of my go to bourbons for when I have no desire to meditate unduly upon what I'm drinking. It offers several very nice flavors (vanilla, touch of fruit including plum, light spice), a relatively lush mouthfeel, and a high degree of versatility. Far less barrel char than the KCSB I have, and not as "funky," so you don't have to be in that funky char mood to enjoy it. I also appreciate that this stuff still has an age statement, and that I can buy it for under $33/handle.

Undue meditation is actually becoming less frequent in my house as a result of JBB.

Connoisseur

It's good bourbon, but only worth $15/750ml to me. Put me in the lukewarm camp.

Disciple

Its relative lightness, cereal flavors and green fruit always have me thinking I could mistake it as an Irish blended in a blind tasting. A small liquor store near me has the 50ml plastics for 99 cents and I sometimes pick up a few, mainly for highball purposes if going to other peoples houses.

Now the dusty late '70s first release of a Beam Black label, labeled "Beam's Sour Mash", 90 proof and 101 months...that there is a whole different animal and one delicious whiskey. I've got one tax stripped pint bottle left and yeah I've thought about opening it but so far... .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    It has become one of my go to bourbons for when I have no desire to meditate unduly upon what I'm drinking.
    That's why there's Ten High straight, Ezra Brooks, and Evan Williams.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

I enjoy JBB very much. I hit a Twin Cities store once in awhile that has 1.75's for $25. Great on the rocks, great in a Manhattan, great in an old fashioned. Those three things spell out a good time to me.