Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jim Beam Black Label?

It's quite versatile but I have to catch it on sale, otherwise it's a bit overpriced.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It's quite versatile but I have to catch it on sale, otherwise it's a bit overpriced.
    I'm with the Squire. I used to buy JBB by the handle for about $25 as a regular pour. Now that it is almost that much for a 750, there are more attractive options.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

This one is fun to experiment with adding water to. To my tastes, it changes more than many other bourbons with water.

I would pick it up if you've never had it before and it's on sale. It's on my list to get this month for $15 around here.

Enthusiast

Not worth the money. EWB is much better and half the price (in AZ, anyway).

For $20 and under, I'd rather take OWA, Fighting Cock, BT, OGD BiB, or a handle of EWB, among others.

Advanced Taster

I enjoy it, but prefer KB100 instead. After you get past the beam oak that you either like or don't, it has a simple caramel, chocolate and graham cracker taste to it that makes it a real treat to drink, and an easy one at 86 proof. Definitely worth $20. I find it is underrated and skipped on quite a bit.

Jim Beam Black Label?

I also like JBB quite a bit. When I want a straight-forward non-complex table bourbon, it's a go-to bottle for me. I concur with the strongly positive flavor characteristics already noted above. I'd add to those that it has no weaknesses. Nose, flavor, finish all nicely balanced.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I enjoy it, but prefer KB100 instead. After you get past the beam oak that you either like or don't, it has a simple caramel, chocolate and graham cracker taste to it that makes it a real treat to drink, and an easy one at 86 proof. Definitely worth $20. I find it is underrated and skipped on quite a bit.
    KB stands for... Kentucky... ?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    KB stands for... Kentucky... ?
    I believe he's talking about Kirkland Brand (which is Beam juice, sold at Costco)... I've seen many agree that the quality/flavor is right between JBB and KC, haven't tried it yet myself.

Connoisseur

I have bought several bottles of this over the course of three years and each bottle has been a bit different. If you can find the version that specifically states 8 years, i'd get it for 20 bux.

Over all, it seemed like JB was trying to get the flavor profile to match that of JD. Just my taste buds...
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Advanced Taster

When I really started becoming a bourbon enthusiast, I didn't especially care for the one and only bottle I tried. Seemed somewhat medicinal, and not nearly as good as KC. They had a sale last month and I bought myself another bottle. What a difference. Whereas I would have rated the older bottle dead last in comparison to all the 86 proofers I had on hand (against EWB, OGD, Old Forester, etc.) , I'd now rate it as perhaps the best in that range. With this bottle at least, it seems like a slightly tamer, softer, KC. Thumbs up, for this bottle at least!