Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Jim Beam Black Label?

The Black Label is a solid, whiskey by all measures. Good neat, with a cube or two, or mixed with ginger ale. I do prefer the Beam White 7 yr to it, though. A little more sweetness, oilier, not as dry, and more of the Beam house style, AKA "Beam yeasty funk" (of which I am one of 3 people on the planet who likes that aspect of Beam bourbons. )
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    KB stands for... Kentucky... ?
    Oops, I meant to say KC100 as in Knob Creek 100 also known as the Small Batch.

Joe, You might have a fourth to join your small group of Beam yeast funk lovers. The JBB has always impressed me. Taste is always first and foremost with me but sometimes dinner parties and the like have some superficial types that want to impress others. I'm not above playing this game. I grew up going to dinner parties where the classy guys drove Caddies, drank Michelob, and wore spiffy white Alan Edmonds loafers because that way it was in the 70's. In the average non-bourbon loving world, JBB is "the good stuff" in 2013 where I live. Even though anyone reading this knows it is a mid-shelfer (where most my bread is buttered FWIW) When I bring Jim Beam Black to a party I know I am going to enjoy it on the rocks but I have no problem pouring a little coke or ginger ale or water on it for those that want it. That is the beauty of the JBB pour. And my Twin Cities source has it for 25.99 a handle. Everybody wins!

Guru

Good price for a handle, here they want almost that much for a 750.

Taster

Howdy,

For the last several years, JBB was my nightcap choice with cola and two ice cubes. JBB strikes a reasonable balance between economy and quality, with it's char and raisin tones. Recently I've discovered Old Forester Signature for the same price and it's my new favorite, although I keep JBB in the bullpen.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    The Black Label is a solid, whiskey by all measures. Good neat, with a cube or two, or mixed with ginger ale. I do prefer the Beam White 7 yr to it, though. A little more sweetness, oilier, not as dry, and more of the Beam house style, AKA "Beam yeasty funk" (of which I am one of 3 people on the planet who likes that aspect of Beam bourbons. )
    I am sure you weren't counting me since you don't know me, but make that 4.

Connoisseur

There are better overall bourbons at $20, OGD 114 is around $22..but JBB has a unique profile of sweet, funky, apple juice, and chocolate. I like it.

Enthusiast

I'm not really a Beam hater, but I like OGD BIB quite alot better than Beam Black.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Beam Black (in the old style square bottles) is on sale for $13.78 at my favorite whisk(e)y monger so I pulled the trigger, and I am very glad I did. It'd been a while since I had it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty sweet, but I never did mind that. My second pour of it was on the rocks, and to be honest, I preferred it neat. It generally came off as... well, exactly as it is: the 8 year old little brother of its' bad-ass elder brother, Booker's. I just had a pour of Booker's in a bar a week or so ago and you can definitely taste the resemblance. I happen to think Booker's is excellent, excellent whiskey, and Beam Black is a worthy little cousin. Especially at $15 out the door. I put it in the category of some of the HH Bonds I like: such good, sturdy table whiskey.
    Last edited by Parkersback; 05-14-2013 at 17:30.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Worthy indeed and a bargain at that price.