Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Sazerac. Some essential questions.

Yes, the louse infection created the need for mass produced blended Scotch to replace the brandy. Winston Churchill was quoted as saying his father's generation didn't drink Scotch, rather their tipple of choice was Brandy & Soda.

Connoisseur

Mario at the Napoleon House was my first Sazerac. Great stuff! Never knew about the louse, interesting that folks used to drink brandy over whiskeys.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, the louse infection created the need for mass produced blended Scotch to replace the brandy. Winston Churchill was quoted as saying his father's generation didn't drink Scotch, rather their tipple of choice was Brandy & Soda.
    Irish whiskey also helped fill the void, probably even more so than scotch, at least initially. Then the natives got restless and scotch began to take over.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

The short story is the phylloxera louse is native to North America and feeds on vine roots and was accidentally imported into Europe around 1860 and within 20 years approximately 90% of the vineyards of France were destroyed with equally bad results throughout Europe. The problem was eventually fixed by grafting traditional European varietals onto Native American rootstock which is resistant to the louse. Virtually all the expensive wine and cognac produced in France for more than 140 years has been made from grapes grown on American rootstock.

Connoisseur

I also didn't appreciate the spray bottle for the herbsainte. Yeah gotta do the wash by hand, it's part of the fun. I did have one there for my 30th bday with Thomas Handy (they only had baby saz and thomas handy maybe that's the deal with sazarac corporate or somtehing). It was ok, but I've had better in chicago. My favorite saz in new orleans was at Bar Tonique and 2nd was napoleon house

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Until about 7-8 years ago, the Sazerac cocktail was rarely seen outside of New Orleans, and even then there were few places in the city that would know how to make one. However, when you could find someone that would make one, they generally did a good job. I learned how to make them from watching Mario at the Napoleon House on Royal Street.

I like to make mine with a sugar cube and chill the drink before I put it into the chilled glass. I just pour the rye over a large cube, no stirring.

Unfortunately, with the popularity of the drink, there are more people that do a bad job of it than good. I've even seen them shake a batch of them at the Sazerac bar, which is named after the cocktail. Sacrilege!
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

The saz I do:
    Chill one old fashion glass by filling with ice and soda water. I belive the soda water helps chill it faster I believe. 2nd glass drop in a sugar cube 5 shakes of peychauds splash of soda water. Muddle. Add 2 oz of Rye (lately I have been reccomending Willet 4 year rye, but my next would be Ritt bib or baby saz) stir. Add ice.
    Now toss the glass that has been chilled 1tsp herbsaint (I've been using the corsair rouge absinthe though). Spin that sucker on it's axis in front of the customer make sure the absinthe goes all over put on the show and wash the glass with it, then toss what doesn't hang on the glass out. Yer mixture should be chilled by now. Strain it into the glass. Pull out a lighter burn the oil off the lemon twist and drop it in.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

Sounds good, Brett. By the way, your settings keep you from receiving PMs.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    The saz I do:
    Chill one old fashion glass by filling with ice and soda water. I belive the soda water helps chill it faster I believe. 2nd glass drop in a sugar cube 5 shakes of peychauds splash of soda water. Muddle. Add 2 oz of Rye (lately I have been reccomending Willet 4 year rye, but my next would be Ritt bib or baby saz) stir. Add ice.
    Now toss the glass that has been chilled 1tsp herbsaint (I've been using the corsair rouge absinthe though). Spin that sucker on it's axis in front of the customer make sure the absinthe goes all over put on the show and wash the glass with it, then toss what doesn't hang on the glass out. Yer mixture should be chilled by now. Strain it into the glass. Pull out a lighter burn the oil off the lemon twist and drop it in.
    Pretty much exactly how I do it, though no soda water in the muddle and I merely rim the glass with the flamed lemon twist and discard. I just like how it looks without the garnish.

Enthusiast

Found some Peychaud Bitters, bought some Absinthe and will test this cocktail on the weekend.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Connoisseur

I'm a literature professor.

If you read 19th century lit, both American and European, the hard liquor of choice was nearly always brandy.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway