Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Michter\'s Small Batch US1 Batch# 3E2 Initial Impressions

Ok, I just popped the cork on a bottle. Let me tell you this stuff has a distinct smell as soon as you take a whiff. I'm going to try and post tasting notes for it later on but here are just some quick 1st impressions based upon a very small pour. The smell jumps out at you like I said, almost like buttery popcorn and almost sweet-like. I really liked the smell. Taste is almost like corn whiskey/whitedog but with other flavors imparted. Some bourbon characteristics but truly in a class on its own. Overall I liked it, sweet with no noticable bite. I'll post tasting notes either later on or tomorrow but if you can get a bottle for around $27-30 it is something unique to try!

Disciple

Re: Michter\'s Small Batch US1 Batch# 3E2 Initial Impressions

Mark,

Do you know how long it was aged. I wonder if that is what bourbon tastes like after 1-2 years in the barrel?

TomC

Guru

Re: Michter\'s Small Batch US1 Batch# 3E2 Initial Impressions

Tom, it's 4+ years old and it is aged in bourbon-soaked american white oak barrels. I'm guessing that unique taste comes from the fact that it is aged in re-used barrels so much of the char and all that 'good stuff' has been used already. Stacy took a quick smell and she says it smells like candy or butterscotch. For her to tell a difference it is w/o a doubt unique from your typical bourbon.

Guru

Re: Michter\'s US1 4 year old Straight Rye Update

It was hard to get a definative answer from the store owner on this one but it seems the Michter's US1 Straight Rye Whiskey 4 year old version still has not been bottled. There 'may' have been a batch released and it is sold out but the story sounds more like they just haven't bottled it yet. I was told that it is expected to be out on store shelves by January of next year. Again, you can see Michter's 4 bottle line-up on their website.

Taster

Re: Michter\'s US1 Unbleded American Whiskey Batch# 3E1

My brother gave me a bottle of Michers Unblended American,batch 3j2,this weekend, and it is quite delightful. All of the alcohol I need as an adult, and the flavor of butterscotch pudding that I remember as a child. What I do not get is how can a whiskey aged in used barrels, where much of the flavor components have already be leached out, get such a flavor and deep color. Does anyone know if as an Unblended Whiskey, aside from using a mash bill different from that required for bourbon, could also use either added colors or flavors as some Blended Whiskey's, and Canadian's do

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The only word they are using that has any legal significance is "whiskey," which merely means distilled from grain at less than 190 proof. Yes, they can add flavorings and colorings. Some believe this is the exact same whiskey as Conecuh Ridge. A correspondent of mine talked to someone at Conecuh Ridge who reported that their whiskey contains apples.

Taster

I thought that vodka was the only beverage alcohol distilled out at that high a proof. I know that bourbon,rye,etc can't be distilled out at more than 160 proof. so are you saying that named straight whiskey like rye,bourbon, or corn can'nt have additives,but that a generic whiskey can? Is there a cap on the amount and types of flavoring and coloring used. I know that so called blended whiskey can use unaged neutral spirits.Any clarification that you can give would help.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

To be called bourbon, rye, etc. it can't be distilled at more than 160 proof but to be called just whiskey it can be up to 189 proof.

27 CFR 5.22(2)(b)

Class 2; whisky. ``Whisky'' is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190 deg. proof in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need not be so stored), and bottled at not less than 80 deg. proof, and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed.

Taster

thanks
    I went to the atf web site, and looked at the rule you quoted, and I guess the stuff can also have 2.5 per cent additives to give it that 'down home' taste. It tastes good, but I vaguely feel like i am drinking tainted goods. part of the facination with bourbon is that it is a natural product.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Isn't it possible this whiskey is made from the same type of mash bourbon is made from but simply is aged in barrels that are not new charred wood? Maybe they use first refill charred barrels. If so, there would be plenty of flavour for the cask to impart. Some would come from the bourbon in the wood from the first fill, some would come from the red layer still in there, and some would come from the plain wood itself. Chardonnay wine can have a warm butterscotch flavour from plain oak (maybe lightly toasted); would not a charred refill cask have that much more to offer? I would not assume Michter's unblended has flavouring added or is distilled at higher than 160 proof; this may be so but I believe it is not the case.

Gary