Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

"a few drops of water"......?

Hello all,

Just how much is "a few drops/slash" of water to open up a pour or dilute a cask strength dram? I most always drink everything neat (I like to think that the people who make whiskey... know how to make whiskey, and what they bottle is what that bottle should taste like). That said, if more experienced connoisseurs insist that in some cases a little water will bring out aromas and flavors more readily, I'll give it a try. So for say a 1.5oz pour of 90-95 proof juice, just how much water would you add; literally "drops", 1/2 teaspoon ?

Virtuoso

"a few drops of water"......?

90-95 proof? There's plenty of water in there to begin with! I rarely add water but when I do it's little as possible. I just bought some glass droppers to help with that.

Guru

Re: "a few drops of water"......?

I'm very unscientific about it. I'll run the tap (we have excellent tap water here) and put the glass under the tap for a split second. Sometimes I'll use a spoon or just pour a drop of water from a glass. If it's still too hot to drink, then I'll do it again. If it's too diluted I'll just add more from the bottle.

As for the assertion that with barrel proof offerings "what they bottle is what that bottle should taste like", I'm not sure that's true. Many master distillers don't drink their own products neat. When barrels are being sampled by the pros, the whiskey is usually diluted to somewhere in the 20% ABV range. Parker Beam is on record saying his whiskeys are intended to be drunk with a little water. Elmer T. Lee said his favorite way to drink his own bourbon was to mix it with 7-Up. Yeah, it makes me cringe too, but if Elmer could drink it that way, I'm not going to tell someone else they're doing wrong.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

I'm rather OCD and experiment with the proofs using a graduated cylinder and when I find the right combination I'll right in down on the bottle to guarantee a perfect pour time and time again.That being said on anything under 110 proof a single drop of water will usually sufice.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I'm rather OCD and experiment with the proofs using a graduated cylinder and when I find the right combination I'll right in down on the bottle to guarantee a perfect pour time and time again.That being said on anything under 110 proof a single drop of water will usually sufice.
    Really, a single drop will impart a change to 1.5 ounces of spirit? I have in the past stuck my fingers under a running tap (pretty good, though quiet hard, tap water here) then flicked the excess off my fingers into the glass.

Guru

I'll drink it at whatever strength or dilution suits me at the moment.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I have found a plastic syringe which you can find at pretty much any grocery store or pharmacy for cheap works well. I am a dork and figured out how to calculate how many ml of water to add to obtain a specific proof. I think there is a tool somewhere on this site that will calculate for you. Anyway, the syringe allows me to be accurate. I rarely add water and never below 110 proof but it can be fun to mess around with

Connoisseur

I add "just a drop of water" after tasting neat to open up the bourbon not to change the proof. I use bottled water to avoid the chlorine even though it is only a drop. A small bottle of water lasts me a long, long time. In fact, the water lasts longer than a handle of AAA.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post

dilute a cask strength dram

why would you do that?!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post

dilute a cask strength dram

why would you do that?!..............