Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Favorite Cocktail w/ Premium Bourbon

Not something I could do too often due to the realities of my budget, but.....

Have you ever taken your favorite bourbon cocktail and used a premium bourbon with it? I like Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. One night I made a few Manhattans with some Blanton's that I received as a gift. I said "WOW!!!!" several times to myself as I savored each sip. I did the same thing with a Lot B and was also quite impressed.

I will still enjoy my cocktails with EWB or JBB but I now have a few ideas for special occasions like a Birthday or a toast at deer camp on a big buck.

Guru

Re: Favorite Cocktail w/ Premium Bourbon

Generally speaking in a cocktail, especially where the base spirit predominates as is the case with a Manhattan, Old Fashioned or a Sazerac, then the better the quality you can afford to use the better the quality of the cocktail. That also applies to your mixers whether it be soda, vermouth or liqueurs.

Then it just becomes a trade off for how much you like your bourbon neat versus using it in a cocktail I suppose.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 04-12-2013 at 13:23.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I do use premium stuff in my cocktails. I love cocktails, especially the really old school ones, and the better the ingredients, the better the whole thing. I even made a sour with some Pappy! Hell yeah!
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Taster

I agree with the sentiments above. Pretty obvious, but using Handy makes for a mean sazerac. The 2oz pour works out to roughly $5. You'd pay that much for a well drink at most bars.

That said, I wouldn't mix with many of my best bottles; their subtleties would get lost.

Guru

On a related note, I recently read an article about the Negroni cocktail that said you should use run-of-the-mill gin and vermouth so the Campari can shine as the star. So, I tried it both ways. With Seagrams gin and Martini and Rossi vermouth, it was indeed a delicious drink. But with Tanqueray gin and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, it was like nectar from heaven!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...y_blowout.html

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

I am still not quite sure Campari CAN shine. Yes, I know, sacrilege. I often make my own variation using the more orange-y and slightly less bitter Aperol. Or better yet, dump the gin too and go with Aperol, rye and Dolin dry vermouth for my own variation on the Old Pal.

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    On a related note, I recently read an article about the Negroni cocktail that said you should use run-of-the-mill gin and vermouth so the Campari can shine as the star. So, I tried it both ways. With Seagrams gin and Martini and Rossi vermouth, it was indeed a delicious drink. But with Tanqueray gin and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, it was like nectar from heaven!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...y_blowout.html

Tim
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    On a related note, I recently read an article about the Negroni cocktail that said you should use run-of-the-mill gin and vermouth so the Campari can shine as the star.
    There is something to be said for letting a certain ingredient in a cocktail stand out. But I don't know that that means using "run of the mill" other ingredients. A mediocre gin or bourbon can still have a very strong flavor that dominates a drink. I tend to mess with the proportions more to achieve the desired effect.

Connoisseur

OGD114 and coke. Maybe a slice of lime.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

On a related note, anyone here like Rob Roys?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

I liked the movie, not too keen on the drink.