Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Favorite Cocktail w/ Premium Bourbon

Somehow this degenerated from "premium bourbon" to "half-assed scotch" If you can find a cocktail that uses Laphroig barrel strength 18 year old blah, blah, blah then you win. How about talking about bourbon. That beautiful amber liquid this site is based on. I kid because I care.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    This is not a smoky whisky. Don't see a source for smoke flavor in his "smoked" old fashioned.
    Well it was certainly smokier than my usual old-fashioned ...not to mention on the house for being the subject of my bartenders' experiments.

I imagine if he'd made it with Ardbeg I would not have liked it as much...

Connoisseur

3 Cocktails come to mind, one with bourbon, one with rye and one great Scotch cocktail.

The first I call the Small Batch Shooter, pick a premium bourbon that you feel has a strong stone fruit, cherry note to your palate and combine and chill it 3:1 with Kirschwasser/Luxardo Maraschino and either Fee's rhubarb or cherry bitters. My version was Black Maple Hill Small Batch, Luxardo Maraschino and rhubarb bitters. I make it so it comes out to a 1.25 oz shooter. Two sips and its gone. Chicks dig it. I do too.

The second was a drink my buddy came up with. Small and right, the Mini-Man features Rittenhouse 21/23/25, and Barolo Chinato, again in a 3:1 ratio, bitters and garnish of your choosing though I think it's best without any. I normally make it small as a preface to diving into a pour of some older Rittenhouse.

Finally the third, the Penicillin, created by some genius cocktail guru, it's basically a blended scotch base sour with a smoky Scotch topper, I like it with a single malt base of Benromach or Springbank CV and then lemon juice, simple syrup, shaken, strained over rocks, and topped with Laphroaig 10.

Hope this is more what you were looking for Grainbelt.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    This is not a smoky whisky. Don't see a source for smoke flavor in his "smoked" old fashioned.
    The smoke likely doesn't come from the whiskey, but from a smoke gun. They're being used in the cocktail world to add different sorts of smokey flavor to drinks. I haven't tried one myself, but here's a youtube video where the bartender makes a smokey old fashioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpO0xdxyUkg

Advanced Taster

Thanks Wryguy but I meant no scotch and wanted talk of premium bourbons being used in cocktails. I understand slipping into a rye here or there, but not scotch. It reminds me of a pheasant hunting trip. We were cooking a nice meal for the farmer whose land we hunt on. We were having a few cocktails and my dad asked the farmer what he would like to drink. The farmer tried a scotch and water. He then asked, "Do you fellas have a cat around here?" We said, "No we don't, Why?" The farmer says, " Because I'd like to lick its ass to get this awful taste out of my mouth." He then had a few bourbons and a nice steak and life was good.

Connoisseur

Generally no. In fact I have refused customers who have ordered a Pappy and coke. Yes these people do exhist. But I have had a couple sazaracs with thomas handy and paid a lot of money for them. They were better than baby saz because of the higher proof and was able to dance better with the pechauds. But for most saz I think a 3 or four year willet 95 /5 ldi at 110 proof works splendidly. This of course isn't bourbon, and bourbon only requires a glass.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I've made killer Mint Juleps with Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 10/107, the best Old Fashioned I've ever tasted with Vintage 23 Rye and even tipped some coke into the dregs of a pour of Pappy 23 that I really wasn't enjoying one night (it was that or tip the Pappy out). Personally I think the premium bourbons made the drink(s) much more than it normally is, but I do wonder how much of that was expectation vs. actual taste difference from using something like Makers or Beam Black.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    Thanks Wryguy but I meant no scotch and wanted talk of premium bourbons being used in cocktails. I understand slipping into a rye here or there, but not scotch. It reminds me of a pheasant hunting trip. We were cooking a nice meal for the farmer whose land we hunt on. We were having a few cocktails and my dad asked the farmer what he would like to drink. The farmer tried a scotch and water. He then asked, "Do you fellas have a cat around here?" We said, "No we don't, Why?" The farmer says, " Because I'd like to lick its ass to get this awful taste out of my mouth." He then had a few bourbons and a nice steak and life was good.
    I gotta use that in my conversations with Scotch drinkers

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Finally the third, the Penicillin, created by some genius cocktail guru,
    That would be Sam Ross. I'll have to give your single malt base variation a try.

Connoisseur

ORVW 10/107 makes a hell of an old fashioned in my opinion.