Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Indiana might soon blaze its own bourbon trail

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...WS05/303260057

*Edit* - If the Star blocks you and asks for you to subscribe, just clear your history and cache and cookies and relaunch your browser. Presto!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Re: Indiana might soon blaze its own bourbon trail

Very interesting especially the tasting rooms. The article is slightly misleading on the reference to Heartland Distillers. They may in fact be distilling bourbon but obviously aren't able to sell their distillate yet. The stuff they are currently putting out is from the former LDI.

Guru

Is one stop a trail?

Trippah and Admin

Kentucky Bourbon Trail/Indiana Bourbon trail is like Disney World/Disney store.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Kentucky Bourbon Trail/Indiana Bourbon trail is like Disney World/Disney store.
    Ox more like Disney World/Guy in the alley selling counterfeit Disney DVD's

Guru

This is a nice idea, but they need more actual stills operating and producing bourbon. There's already a wine trail, maybe turn it into a wine & spirits trail.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Ox more like Disney World/Guy in the alley selling counterfeit Disney DVD's
    I don't think that I would be quite so dismissive of the potential of this new initiative. If Sun King and Three Floyds get into micro distilling I would suspect they will produce as much of a quality product as any other micro. While these places won't offer the history of KY bourbon making, the idea of touring high quality distilling and brewery facilities at the same location could definitely be considered unique attractions. Obviously it will take some time before anything comes from this, but at least it lays the foundation.

BTW, speaking of them parks, don't forget that Indiana had the first amusement park built around a THEME.... 9 years before Disney did his thing....we had Santa Claus Land (Now expanded into Holiday World).

Guru

I see this as a plus, a micro is a natural extension of a brewery. Sign me up for the tour.

Virtuoso

Tom, not dismissive just a little humor. As my first post in the thread indicated I am excited especially about the tasting opportunities. And if you make the Indy gathering in May I will bring Spring Mill Indiana Bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    I don't think that I would be quite so dismissive of the potential of this new initiative. If Sun King and Three Floyds get into micro distilling I would suspect they will produce as much of a quality product as any other micro. While these places won't offer the history of KY bourbon making, the idea of touring high quality distilling and brewery facilities at the same location could definitely be considered unique attractions. Obviously it will take some time before anything comes from this, but at least it lays the foundation.

BTW, speaking of them parks, don't forget that Indiana had the first amusement park built around a THEME.... 9 years before Disney did his thing....we had Santa Claus Land (Now expanded into Holiday World).
    From what I have seen, breweries that experiment with distilling do so because they have the time/capacity/ability to. 3 floyds cant make enough beer for their own state not to mention the other 4 or 5 states they dabble in. They could triple production and still not reach 1/5 of the United States population. They have a great thing going with beer. They sell every drop that they make. To get into distilling would be foolish IMO.