Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Do Stainless Steel Flasks Mess With Bourbon Flavor?

I have a new 5oz stainless steel flask that I haven't used yet. Can I expect that the stainless steel will mess with the flavor of the bourbon? I've read that I'm not supposed to leave anything in the flask for more than a day or two. If I pour and drink whatever is in the flask the same day, can I expect the flavor to stay true?

If not, I may seek out a glass flask.

Nick
    No anchovies? you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger"

Virtuoso

Re: Do Stainless Steel Flasks Mess With Bourbon Flavor?

Ive never had a problem. I do as a matter of practice empty the flask before putting it away
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

I've had bourbon in a stainless flask for longer than a few days (maybe up to 10) and never had a problem with it influencing the taste. What I found might happen though is that whatever type of seal you have in the cap of the flask could go bad with leaving alcohol in it for longer than a few days. I'm with Restaurant Man on emptying the flask before putting it away (the long stretch I had was traveling and literally forgetting I brought the flask when my destination had some great offerings - and only upon unpacking finding it! And then emptying it )
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Unless somehow compromised (deep gash, pitting, etc.), stainless steel will not impart anything to your whiskey. Heck, that's what distilleries all use to store whiskey in after it's taken out of wood, albiet a bit bigger than flask size.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Unless somehow compromised (deep gash, pitting, etc.), stainless steel will not impart anything to your whiskey. Heck, that's what distilleries all use to store whiskey in after it's taken out of wood, albiet a bit bigger than flask size.
    That's exactly what I was gonna say Mat. The bigger effect will be if you have remnants lefts from previous pours.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

Keep in mind that all stainless steel alloys are not the same. To be called Stainless Steel, the alloy requires a minimum of 11% Chromium and the balance Iron. The more corrosion resistant stainless steels such as those used in food processing and bourbon storage typically contain about 18% Chromium and 8/10% Nickel. That alloy is typically referred to as Type 304 or an 18-8 stainless. Typically, you can tell the difference with a magnet. The less corrosion resistant alloy will have a strong attraction to a magnet. The Type 304 stainless alloy will generally have no attraction to a magnet. If Type 304 is severely cold worked, it may show slight attraction to a magnet.

Enthusiast

Yes, there ARE dozens of types/grades of stainless; however, all of the ones used in the production of tanks, flasks, etc. will not (in and of themselves) impart any flavor to whiskey.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Disciple

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Yes, there ARE dozens of types/grades of stainless; however, all of the ones used in the production of tanks, flasks, etc. will not (in and of themselves) impart any flavor to whiskey.
    Unless they were assembled poorly or they have reactive non-stainless components.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Unless they were assembled poorly or they have reactive non-stainless components.
    That is true. Is the alloy used in the screw cap the same as that used to make the flask? If the screw cap is machined, it is most likely a free-machining grade. Free machining grades typically contain sulfur in the form of sulfides which improve machinability. Could prolonged exposure of whiskey to sulfides in the steel potentially affect the taste. Other elements that can have a positive effect on machinability are Lead and Selenium.

I not convinced that all off-shore manufacturers of flasks utilize the most appropriate stainless steel.