Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Do Stainless Steel Flasks Mess With Bourbon Flavor?

I would also add that it's a good idea to wash anything new with plenty of dish soap and hot water. Stainless items tend to come coated with residue of oils or chemicals from manufacturing. I still prefer to re-use a glass pint or half pint bottle.

Virtuoso

I've used a cheap Coleman stainless flask on the golf course for the last three years. I've had no problem with it at all. I do keep it clean and dry between uses, though.

Taster

Wow...do I feel like an idiot. I got a new one back in March ( purchased from Saks...which means nothing as it relates to quality other than the fact that I probably paid too much )...I poured some good juice in it and put it in my briefcase. Then put it on my desk at work. Any time I'm at the office past 9pm, I like having access to something to mellow the pain of being at work so late. I've refilled it a few times, but so far haven't considered the affect I might be having on the flask degrading - I assumed its job in life was to contain alchol.

Guru

Do Stainless Steel Flasks Mess With Bourbon Flavor?

I had one of these from a long time ago:

http://www.snowpeak.com/flask-titanium-l-t-013.html

Pricey but it was a gift and its been reliable, safe for liquors, & lightweight to boot.

I recently got a free stainless steel China-made flask and here was the result:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...-(free)-flasks

I'll be saving the 200ml bottles from now on though.

That Amazon link looks like its a cool flask too - I think I saw one @ Container Store recently.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

My 'Band of Rebels' flask is completely non-magnetic and I washed it thoroughly, but I still noted a flavor change on first use. So, I filled it with cheap vodka for a week, dumped and rinsed. That seems to have cured it.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 04-13-2013 at 21:11.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    My 'Band of Rebels' flask is completely non-magnetic and I washed it thoroughly, but I still noted a flavor change on first use. So, I filled it with cheap vodka for a week, dumped and rinsed. That seems to have cured it.
    I use stainless canteens for water at work, and was told that if I ever detect any influence on flavor to fill it with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water, and let it sit for 24 hours. Then dump, rinse, let dry - and resume use. I've done that a few times (granted - these are cheap canteens ) but that might be worth a shot.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins