Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Green Spot Single Pot Still Irish - Today

The reason I said "today" in the title was, I've been buying this off and on for about 20 years. Every time I buy it, it tastes different. The first bottles were very fruity and minty, like certain yellow fruits but not banana.

Later, the whiskey seemed a little dull and woody. I had the odd nice bottle but it wasn't as good as the first time.

Last year, I bought two bottles and these were my least favourite: dull with an offputting "fresh wood" taste. It still had as all the bottlings do pot still notes, but not in the best presentation.

Today, I bought two more bottles, one to give a friend. This batch is one of the best I've ever had, as good as that first group which I bought in London. Not quite as fruity but full, sweet and rich in body with complex notes from the unmalted barleys.

This is classy stuff, the real deal and worth every penny.

Gary

P.S. I've never had Yellow Spot but I doubt I'd like it as much as the Green Spot because I don't like when the wood obtrudes and Yellow Spot is older. Green Spot - or rather this current bottling at LCBO - hits all the bases.

Guru

Re: Green Spot Single Pot Still Irish - Today

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Today, I bought two more bottles, one to give a friend. This batch is one of the best I've ever had, as good as that first group which I bought in London. Not quite as fruity but full, sweet and rich in body with complex notes from the unmalted barleys.

This is classy stuff, the real deal and worth every penny.

Gary

P.S. I've never had Yellow Spot but I doubt I'd like it as much as the Green Spot because I don't like when the wood obtrudes and Yellow Spot is older. Green Spot - or rather this current bottling at LCBO - hits all the bases.

I have a couple of bottles from about a year ago that seemed good to me. But i think there have been some changes along the way is it got more popular and some people note that whiskey in the newer style bottle was younger and less fruity than those earlier versions.

I may bring one along to the sampler for those interested in trying it. I don't find the Yellow Spot to a problem to me (its quite nice actually although I like the Powers John's Lane a little better) but palates differ of course. Definitely a different whiskey but good in its own right.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Well, I'm open to trying the Yellow Spot. But this current Green Spot at LCBO is superb. Of course, it is hard to know if what I tasted a year ago is the same as what each part of the U.S. received at the same time...

Gary

Advanced Taster

Ahhh Gary, I have been buying more Irish lately and have been thinking of picking up Green Spot and Writer's Tears today. I think you have me sold on the Green Spot. A few days ago I tried a Irish single malt, Locke's 8 yo. The nose of mineral spirits and more mineral spirits on the palate. After one pour, the taste of mineral spirit stayed on my palate for 5+ hours. I returned it to LCBO for refund. I'm a fan of Redbreast 12yo, Black Bush and Jameson Select Reserve. I hope the Green Spot and Writer's Tears are as enjoyable as those.

Guru

Is there similar variance in the Yellow Spot bottlings? Looking to have my brother grab me one next month and just curious.

No iteration I've had of Writer's Tears comes close to the Green Spot I opened today.

The same Green Spot is currently available at tasting counter at Summerhill on Yonge (I tried it today before my purchase). $1.50 for a half ounce, so $3.00 for a full one, well worth it. Not sure if you have access to that outlet but if you go tomorrow, you'll see!

Gary

Advanced Taster

Since there is only 23.5 ounces in a 700ml bottle, and the bottle is $85. $3 is a great sample deal. Here in Oshawa no tasting towers....I will just dive in the deep end and grab a bottle.

I'm sure it must be the same, they can't have brought very much in lately.

Gary

On the issue of variance, Yellow Spot is much newer, so I don't think there has been much time for variance.

And of course, since these are small batch, limited releases, one expects variance and indeed it is a sign of authenticity. However, I did feel Green Spot dropped in quality for many years - but this current tasting wowed me and therefore I'd think it is back on song as the Brits say.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Picked it up, and poured some tonight....it is great stuff. I notice many similarities between Green Spot and Jameson Select Reserve. It's like Jameson used similar SPS casks and cut it with mature grain whiskey to make their Select Reserve blend.