Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Green Spot Single Pot Still Irish - Today

The wee bit of Erin we get is limited as well.

Guru

FYI I'm loathe to start new thread, so I just found the first Irish one and hijacked it. Please move if needed.

Any experience here w Connemara Peated CS, Greenore Single Grain, or Wild Geese Single Malt? These all sound intriguing enough for dif. Reasons.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    FYI I'm loathe to start new thread, so I just found the first Irish one and hijacked it. Please move if needed.

Any experience here w Connemara Peated CS, Greenore Single Grain, or Wild Geese Single Malt? These all sound intriguing enough for dif. Reasons.
    The Greenore 8yo is pretty mild but Greenore 15yo is quite lovely and becoming a favorite of mine (I have 3 bottles!). I have seen it in the US but it is rare now. There was also a Greenore 18yo from Cooley that I have never seen. I think Yellow Spot would be a great choice. It is in Canada I think but not the US. The Irishman has a limited release 12yo single malt available in Ireland but not the US I would love to try.

Poitin is now getting more popular. I have had Glendalough and thought it quite good in a Jacob's Ghost kind of way. Not new make but aged about a year. The Cooley Poitin is supposedly single pot still new make which sounds interesting.

I suggest also looking for the one or more Teeling whiskey that is now available. They got some mention in a recent Whisky Advocate blog post. As far as I know they aren't in the US yet. They also have a poitin. I think everything they do is sourced and/or stock they got from Cooley when they sold it. The 21yo Sauternes cask finished whiskey really interests me.

"Three samples were works in progress, and may never see the light of day, but the other three are set for release. They are a Premium Blend, which has a high malt content, and has been married in rum casks and bottled at 46% with no chill filtration; a beautiful and classic cask strength Irish single malt whiskey; and the oddest of the lot, a very unusual and groundbreaking cask strength 21 year old single malt finished in Sauternes wine casks, which will be the first release of a new series to be known as Vintage Reserve Single Malt."

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Can the Poitin stand alone or is it mostly good for mixing? The Teelings sound interesting as well. Thanks!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Can the Poitin stand alone or is it mostly good for mixing? The Teelings sound interesting as well. Thanks!
    I thought the Glendalough was pretty good by itself and as I recall was not high proof, probably 80 proof. Some poitin is high proof and probably needs to be cut with water or used as a mixer unless you are trying to clear your sinuses! Then Glendalough is also a bit dfferent as it has some age on it. Not much, but some. But it can be drunk as is or as a mixer.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

I have also recently seen Knockeen Hills "Farmers Strength" (120 proof) poteen available on the shelf in Atlanta but have never tried it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Midleton Very Rare is available in the U.S. too.
    It is, but I was thinking it might be more reasonably priced in Ireland.

Enthusiast

Writer's Tears is great value at the duty free! Until recently the easy answer to this question was Power's John's Lane, so I hope you already have some of that now that it is on our shores.

Guru

Nope. It may be available somewhere in KY, but not in Lex and not at TPS. Like I said, our Irish selection is lacking. That had been mentioned by others elsewhere however, so I may just have one brought back.

Disciple

I had a couple pours this weekend. Tasty and enjoyable. Better than I remembered the last Canadian release.
    Last edited by DeanSheen; 05-29-2013 at 21:46. Reason: wrong phrasing
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination