Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Elija Craig 12... what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    If you can get it for $23 you can't go wrong...$31.99 here. The Party Source price on their sold out unchill filtered was $25.99 and that was some good whiskey.

As to Alden's original question, historically EC 12 is probably the most polarizing major brand of bourbon in terms of like or dislike. The dislikes often describe a metallic taste. I get a bit of a mediciney-band aid smell, not so much on taste, that I chalk up to HH house style along with the delicious ripe stone fruit also part of the HH house style.
    I would echo the general consensus and also affirm this side-note. There is (what I would describe as) an astringency to EC12 that is very controversial, but personally I like it just fine. Overall, excellent quality and distinctive flavor for about $25-$28, IMHO.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    I would echo the general consensus and also affirm this side-note. There is (what I would describe as) an astringency to EC12 that is very controversial, but personally I like it just fine. Overall, excellent quality and distinctive flavor for about $25-$28, IMHO.
    Agreed. I've only purchased one bottle myself, so I'm far from an expert, but I remember an astringent/bitter finish that improved after the bottle had been opened for a few weeks.

That said, it had a very cool chocolate hint that I miss and keep meaning to come back to.

Connoisseur

I think the current bottling taste a lot like some EW 10 year which I can still pick up at about $14 a bottle so I will stick to it. I have several bottles of EC12 from 1986 that I think has a very different taste profile from the current stuff which I prefer.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

EC 12 was one of the first bourbons I encountered when I rediscovered bourbon a decade and a half ago. I have not found any of the eponymous (B_P) bottling, however, so am hoping someone in Bardstown next week will share!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

For a number of years there was a store in my area that sold EC12 for 16.99. I bought it for years and then just started to take it for granted. Then one day it was 25.99.

Connoisseur

Just spent a lovely two hours with EC12. Have been drinking it for years. Sometimes the flavor profile drifted a little but it has been a long time since I have been disappointed.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

My take is the same, not always the first rate but always a good choice, especially for the price.

Virtuoso

I couldn't find EC12 for a while. A new store opened a couple of weeks ago and they have it. I bought a bottle since it has always been a favorite. This is the first time I have had a bottle that I didn't think was very good. It's very woody and almost has a bitter taste. I hope my taster was just off. I'll give it another try this evening.

Advanced Taster

love it. it's one of the bottles i always have on hand and replenish before it's dry.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I couldn't find EC12 for a while. A new store opened a couple of weeks ago and they have it. I bought a bottle since it has always been a favorite. This is the first time I have had a bottle that I didn't think was very good. It's very woody and almost has a bitter taste. I hope my taster was just off. I'll give it another try this evening.
    Give it about 2 weeks now that the bottle has been opened... I had the exact same taste, but it improved noticeably after getting some air.