Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Four Roses, Retailers Wasting Barrel Selection on OBSV

Smaller local shop that I like giving my business to, did their own barrel selection at Four Roses, I was excited having been wanting to try some of their other recipes, but then disappointed. They went with OBSV, which I guess I understand a bit as they won't turn off their clientele with something that tastes nothing like the FRSB that they know, but if you're going to all the trouble of going up to KY and selecting your own why not bring back something a little different than the standard offering?

Either way, I of course bought one . It was $5 cheaper than their usual FRSB price, and after a glass or two it was a fine selection, and the one I already had was on its last legs anyway.

Do the shops that you guys frequent do the same with their FRSB bottlings, or are my mongers just a bit gunshy with this being their first one?

Virtuoso

Re: Four Roses, Retailers Wasting Barrel Selection on OBSV

You only have 1 choice. OBSV. Unless you go with barrel strength. Then u have a choice of all ten recipes.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    You only have 1 choice. OBSV. Unless you go with barrel strength. Then u have a choice of all ten recipes.
    Ah, well that explains it! I wish they would have swung for the fences with a barrel strength selection, but that makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for the info.

Guru

Kinda like Henry Ford said re: the Model T. You can have any color you like, as long as it's black.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

I'd say that $5 discount off the regular price is way cool.

Virtuoso

I've done 2 OBSV so far for the restaurant. Barrel strength doesn't really fit for "on premise" consumption. People aren't there to play with their whiskey.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

When last in Louisville, I had several private barrel selection options at Liquor Barn, and settled on a 4RSB precisely because it was different (OBSK - 35% rye; 10 yrs, 9 mo 121.6 proof). Well - I do tend to like high-rye so that was like a bonus. I wasn't aware of the limitations based on proof for selection. High proof (which comes along with higher prices typically) might turn off customers who are used to paying one price for 4RSB, although I'm glad there are stores out there who take that chance This has been by far my favorite 4RSB purchase.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

So..... Anyone who knows for sure.... Please clarify for one who is clueless.... Is there another(s) option(s) for barrel selections at Four Roses???? ...Or is the earlier post by Restaurant man the true skinny?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    So..... Anyone who knows for sure.... Please clarify for one who is clueless.... Is there another(s) option(s) for barrel selections at Four Roses???? ...Or is the earlier post by Restaurant man the true skinny?
    Using TPS as an example:

You can get all ten recipes at barrel strength for $49.99 each

You can also get their own selection of standard FRSB for $31.99
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Assuming you know that 4R has 2 mash bills and 5 yeast strains that yield 10 different bourbons. All 10 go in Yellow Label. Four go in the Small Batch. The standard Single Barrel is the OBSV recipe. A private selection of the SB is going to be the same recipe as the standard SB. Hence the question, What's the point? One answer is that the particular barrel may be "special" just as a private selection of any bourbon is special in some respect. 4R also offers the option of barrel strength selections that can be from any of the ten recipes.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.