Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Four Roses, Retailers Wasting Barrel Selection on OBSV

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Either way, I of course bought one . It was $5 cheaper than their usual FRSB price, and after a glass or two it was a fine selection, and the one I already had was on its last legs anyway.
    I'm guessing Toco Giant. If so, not a bad selection. The first few pours seemed a little hot but it's tamed down some now that I'm about half way through the bottle. Good flavor.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    I'm guessing Toco Giant. If so, not a bad selection. The first few pours seemed a little hot but it's tamed down some now that I'm about half way through the bottle. Good flavor.
    Actually Dekalb Bottle House on Briarcliff. Generally a small selection, but owners/managers seem like nice guys who at least know whats on their shelves or if they're going to get it if I ask (no Rittenhouse last time I went by and asked, said they've had it on order for a few weeks but hasn't shown up, maybe part of the swapover to HH juice maybe just BS?). $35 and change for the FRSB.
    Last edited by ramblinman; 04-14-2013 at 13:19.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I've done 2 OBSV so far for the restaurant. Barrel strength doesn't really fit for "on premise" consumption. People aren't there to play with their whiskey.
    You really think so? Many top on-prem in Wisconsin pride themselves on using barrel strength whiskeys and over-proof gins for signature cocktails, as the flavors are more pronounced. They may use a bit less spirit in the drink, and that's okay, as the flavors are fantastic.

In fact, some of the best cocktails I've been served involve Willett Rye at 110pr and Royal Dock Gin at 114pr.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Actually Dekalb Bottle House on Briarcliff. Generally a small selection, but owners/managers seem like nice guys who at least know whats on their shelves or if they're going to get it if I ask (no Rittenhouse last time I went by and asked, said they've had it on order for a few weeks but hasn't shown up, maybe part of the swapover to HH juice maybe just BS?). $35 and change for the FRSB.
    That's close to my office, I know it well but I haven't been by in a few months. I'll pick one up. Thanks.

Connoisseur

I'm just excited to see some ATL retailers going the barrel selection route. Even the big boys have (Tower, Greens, . . .) been few and far between, so hopefully this one works out for the retailer and they try it again. I guess we just need to think of this as a baby step towards progress, I mean it's only been a year or 2 now that you could buy a bottle on Sunday in GA.

Virtuoso

A restaurant near me did a 4R selection this summer, also 100 proof OBSV. It's slightly different than others I have had, but not far and away better than what I can buy down the street at the liquor store. The real crime is that they're charging $11 a pour for it.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Well, it is specially selected after all.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    That's close to my office, I know it well but I haven't been by in a few months. I'll pick one up. Thanks.
    I was there on Saturday for the first time and the gent mentioned that he would love to do another later this year. Might want to mention the barrel proof options if you stop by :-)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    A restaurant near me did a 4R selection this summer, also 100 proof OBSV. It's slightly different than others I have had, but not far and away better than what I can buy down the street at the liquor store. The real crime is that they're charging $11 a pour for it.
    3 Squares? If so, just stick with their awesome selection of beers when you are there.
    -SOB-

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    3 Squares? If so, just stick with their awesome selection of beers when you are there.
    Yes. Usually I eat out and drink at home.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.