Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Four Roses, Retailers Wasting Barrel Selection on OBSV

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I was there on Saturday for the first time and the gent mentioned that he would love to do another later this year. Might want to mention the barrel proof options if you stop by :-)
    When I spoke with them (Dekalb Bottle House) they were leaning towards doing a private "blend" of Angel's Envy similar to what TPS did a while back. I will take a little of the credit/blame for that one as I introduced them to AE from my own bottle, including a taste of the CS, some months ago before it was available in Georgia!

Given that they have a pretty good malt whisky background they are a little more receptive to finished whisk(e)y I suppose.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    I'm guessing Toco Giant. If so, not a bad selection. The first few pours seemed a little hot but it's tamed down some now that I'm about half way through the bottle. Good flavor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Actually Dekalb Bottle House on Briarcliff. Generally a small selection, but owners/managers seem like nice guys who at least know whats on their shelves or if they're going to get it if I ask (no Rittenhouse last time I went by and asked, said they've had it on order for a few weeks but hasn't shown up, maybe part of the swapover to HH juice maybe just BS?). $35 and change for the FRSB.
    I picked one up from both DBH and Toco Giant so I guess I need to do a little tasting along with a standard FR SB.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Assuming you know that 4R has 2 mash bills and 5 yeast strains that yield 10 different bourbons. All 10 go in Yellow Label. Four go in the Small Batch. The standard Single Barrel is the OBSV recipe. A private selection of the SB is going to be the same recipe as the standard SB. Hence the question, What's the point? One answer is that the particular barrel may be "special" just as a private selection of any bourbon is special in some respect. 4R also offers the option of barrel strength selections that can be from any of the ten recipes.
    Thanx, Flyfish! Now I get it. A barrel strength of many of the recipes would likely be an interesting pour, though not all would be fabulous by themselves, I suppose. It would sure be fun to find out, eh?!

Enthusiast

I just returned from selecting barrels with our local Tallahassee Retailer (Market Square Liquors). At Four Roses we had thirty samples .. three from each receipe. Our goal was to rank the top of each receipe and then to rank them from best to worst of the best. When moving across the samples and coming to OBSV (the first of the "high rye" selections), it was like "wow"! There were 7 of us on the barrel team and the OBSV was the clear number one choice. How could you not pick it?

We did. But .. we also picked four other barrels .. from four other receipes. Four of our picks were from the higher rye and one for the lower (25%) rye. With what he had back home on the shelf, this will give him 6 or 7 receipes.

Lower proof was not discussed .. and was not something we considered. But this is not for a restaurant .. and that's a bit different. I can tell you that OBSV at barrel strength is mighty good juice. But then, most of you know that!
    Jon

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    I just returned from selecting barrels with our local Tallahassee Retailer (Market Square Liquors). At Four Roses we had thirty samples .. three from each receipe. Our goal was to rank the top of each receipe and then to rank them from best to worst of the best. When moving across the samples and coming to OBSV (the first of the "high rye" selections), it was like "wow"! There were 7 of us on the barrel team and the OBSV was the clear number one choice. How could you not pick it?

We did. But .. we also picked four other barrels .. from four other receipes. Four of our picks were from the higher rye and one for the lower (25%) rye. With what he had back home on the shelf, this will give him 6 or 7 receipes.

Lower proof was not discussed .. and was not something we considered. But this is not for a restaurant .. and that's a bit different. I can tell you that OBSV at barrel strength is mighty good juice. But then, most of you know that!
    Well done high horse! Sounds like a great tasting.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden