Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Rye or Wheat based bourbons, what is you're choice?

My answer is yes.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

I am 100% a high rye guy. Like others have said, it takes a VERY special wheater whiskey for it to be memorable, but a good rye recipe is always going to be enjoyable, at the very least. There's also no better bourbon out there than RHF/Blanton's for less than $50, so that's my benchmark of quality. I also just simply like rye whiskey better than bourbon, so there you go. That being said, the 95/5 ryes out there like the WhistlePig brands don't have enough backbone to them, they're all spice and then water. If I could make my own whiskey, which I would KILL to do, I'd go with a 6-8 year rye whiskey with 80/15/5, but if I were making a high rye bourbon, I'd like to second the other dudes who said make one with over 40% rye, like a 51% corn, 45% rye, 4% wheat....that sounds good!

Connoisseur

I like both but I'd give the edge to wheaters. I love MM, MM46, Larceny, and Weller 12. WSR and OWA are a step behind because over the last couple of years they seem to taste younger and youger and pretty much just a lot of sweetness. MM is just as young but has a lot more savory notes and has that nice chocolaty finish.

In a rye bourbon, it tends to be a high rye recipe like OGD 114 and Four Roses, although I do appreciate the older Beam products.

Disciple

I enjoy both wheated and rye based bourbons.Under 8 years or even 10 I will usually prefer a rye as a flavor grain and the older the better when it comes to wheaters for me.I just really believe that the wheaters definitely age more gracefully as both pass into their teen years and a sweet,rich and woody wheater really comes into its own and just suits me to a tee.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Apprentice

I've found in my limited experience that rye-based bourbons are definitely my favorite. Really enjoy the basic BIBs.
    White House petition: http://wh.gov/PP0H

Disciple

Love them both and although from day to day my palete likes one over the other. Either way it's all good for me!

Connoisseur

I drank Weller (SR and Antique, then 12) and Old Fitz exclusively for many years, but have switched over the past few years to a preference for anything from Four Roses.

Enthusiast

Varies for me based on what I'm in mood for. If I want something a little easy and soft I reach for a wheater. If I want something with a little more challenging or with more spice, or more of an edge to it, a ryed bourbon fits the bill.

One of the many great things about bourbon: a very broad range of tastes and profiles which can fit almost any mood or any palate.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Virtuoso

Rye or Wheat based bourbons, what is you're choice?

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    Varies for me based on what I'm in mood for. If I want something a little easy and soft I reach for a wheater. If I want something with a little more challenging or with more spice, or more of an edge to it, a ryed bourbon fits the bill.

One of the many great things about bourbon: a very broad range of tastes and profiles which can fit almost any mood or any palate.
    I'm with bill. Ryed bourbon to me is like a great Cabernet. When I'm thinking Pinot I go for a wheater. And when I can't decide, I have both. Wash rinse repeat!
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

It depends. Sometimes I really like Wheat-based and other times Rye-based. Depends on what I'm in the mood for. Roughstock in Montana is making some good pure Malt whisky. It's worth tasting if you find it. Plus you can even help bottle it if you are passing through Bozeman on a Bottling Saturday.