Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Rye or Wheat based bourbons, what is you're choice?

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'd like to see a revival of the traditional American style of pure malt whisky.
    THAT would be interesting.

I seem to gravitate towards rye, or high rye, but some wheaters are very good too. I like the earthiness and in your face flavors of rye.

But for wheaters, I really like Wellers 12, for example.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

I'm a wheat guy and I understand that what I'd like is not necessarily the most cost effective way to market a new product....but since you asked :

What about a bonded wheat somewhere between 10-15 years? Since bigger distilleries are moving away from age statements and keeping proofs low,, you might just hit a niche. Especially if you could sell it at or below the $50 mark!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'd like to see a revival of the traditional American style of pure malt whisky.
    What constitutes traditional American style? No peat or other smoke influence?

Seems like I have seen more American malt whiskeys in the last few months than I have ever seen before. Some have been doing it for quite a while. St. George has been making a single malt for some time now, if at something of a premium in cost.

And I presume you mean barley? Anchor/Old Potrero has been doing a single malt rye with several variations for some time now that is supposedly trying to recreate a classic American whiskey style of the past.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Actually I was referring to the styles of malt or pure malt whiskys made by American distillers prior to Prohibition but that subject deserves a new thread over on the other American whisky forum.

Connoisseur

Personally, I enjoy both.

I'd be interested in participated in the distillery's journey to a properly aged product, whether it be wheat or rye based. A small release at a year, 2 years, and so on till we get to what you consider to be a properly aged product. Maybe released in a 375ml bottle. I would be interested in tasting the progression to the final product. Barrel proof if possible, but definitely no lower than 100 proof. I steer clear of most of the small barrel craft stuff, I haven't found that I enjoy them, one, and two, while some might, I disagree with the notion it somehow speeds up the aging process in making a traditional bourbon. If traditional bourbon is not your end game, that's cool, but just let me know up front.

I think tasting the progression would be neat, but I'm not sure if it would be realistic with all the labels and fillings with the .gov.

Connoisseur

BTW, "you're" is a contraction for "you are". Look at the title of this thread.

Sorry, it just drives me nuts.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Gotta let the grammar slide around here. Most of us is drunk.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Gotta let the grammar slide around here. Most of us is drunk.

Connoisseur

In my admittedly parochial opinion, the wheaters are great, or near great only after about 7- or 8-years. There are of course exceptions; but most wheaters are too mild (boring) when young. Some are still a little mild even at 12-years (Weller-12). Rye-based bourbons can be quite nice and UNIQUE (that's the key) depending upon aging position in as little as 4- or 5-years. Rye recipes left too long in outside/high rick positions can become too oaky in long aging. I believe wheaters are more forgiving in that regard. Just one man's experience/opinion. Soooooo, to sum up I like 'em both, depending how they're aged, I guess.

Advanced Taster

My personal preference would be a rye based bourbon between 94-106 proof. Something like a 57/38/5 mix with a #3 char.