Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Makers 46 not a Straight?

I'm not a big fan of regular Makers, but do enjoy Makers 46 occasionally. While pouring a dram this evening, I noticed that the bottle just states that it is Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. There also is no age statement. Is M46 not a straight? Is it under 2 years old or is it due to it being finished?

Guru

Re: Makers 46 not a Straight?

likely due to the finishing process. From what I've gathered, it is basically regularly aged MM thats then given a few months extra aging with the extra wood, so its not 2 years old
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Definitely not under 2 years old, that deliciousness has more years under its belt. Squire and the bourbon pros can answer why, but it does get "oak staves" into the barrel as a second finishing. Whatever that means its already in new oak. I enjoy makers 46 once a week or so, tastes great neat just pricey when I can enjoy 25 dollar bottles of certain brands, ER 10 at least my current bottle is similar but better in every way for 24.99.

Taster

How is it that Angel's Envy, that is finished in port barrels, is labeled as a Straight Bourbon, but M46 that is finished with oak staves is not?

Advanced Taster

Not a "pro" per se, but I do know that they rebarrel MM along with French Oak staves. French Oak has more tannins than American White Oak and that will give the bourbon a different character. The extra time and the influence from the French Oak dries out the profile some so you get a more balanced bourbon. clindt the TTB probably didn't do their job.......again.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post
    How is it that Angel's Envy, that is finished in port barrels, is labeled as a Straight Bourbon, but M46 that is finished with oak staves is not?
    More specifically, it is labeled as KSBW finished in port wine barrels. Maker's probably didn't want to go with "KSBW finished with French oak staves."
    Jim

Guru

Or they just didn't put straight on there for whatever reason. They're not required to label it a straight.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I think it's BeamSpeak for deemphasizing the term 'Straight Bourbon' as being an outdated phrase. Fred Noe has dropped a few comments in interviews and there have been rumblings elsewhere that today's consumers might actually be confused over what 'Straight' means.

Whatever the truth it's a dandy excuse for gradually dropping Straight off the labels, not so quickly soes anyone would notice, 'ya understand.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

honestly, ive got a bottle sitting here next to me for the past three months and didnt notice it until this thread popped up. I enjoy it from time to time, but since I find myself in the much cheaper and easier to enjoy bottle of Larceny, I probably wont replace it when gone.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Taster

My wife and I are getting ready to leave for Kentucky to do the Bourbon trail for the first time. I will try and remember to ask someone when we visit the Maker's distillery on Friday.