Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

I'm sorry, Willie, I just can't cry.

At the end of A Death of a Salesman, when Willie Loman has shuffled off this mortal coil, his wife confesses that she has had enough already. Recently, I have considered having yet another run at 4R YL. But this afternoon, when it is still below 0 in NW Ohio, I built a fire and poured some Old Ezra 101. So, even though I have tried--really--to like YL, I'm more likely to buy more Ezra.
    Question for SBers, what bourbon have you given up on even after giving it more than you consider a fair shot?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Re: I'm sorry, Willie, I just can't cry.

For me FR is my favorite distillery. I love, love, love, everything the do...except YL. I have given it a fair shake, bought and drank through several bottles, to no avail. It is always a struggle to finish the bottle, I will not buy another one.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    At the end of A Death of a Salesman, when Willie Loman has shuffled off this mortal coil, his wife confesses that she has had enough already. Recently, I have considered having yet another run at 4R YL. But this afternoon, when it is still below 0 in NW Ohio, I built a fire and poured some Old Ezra 101. So, even though I have tried--really--to like YL, I'm more likely to buy more Ezra.
    Question for SBers, what bourbon have you given up on even after giving it more than you consider a fair shot?
    This is so funny that you start this thread, as I think of the exact same thing often, with the exact same bourbon as you. The 4R YL is the bourbon that I just can't do, and have given up on. I have tried and tried to like the FR Yellow Label. Purchased a couple of bottles, and even had to choke down a family size in the end, just to get rid of it. Funny thing though, I adore the Single Barrel, Small Batch, and most of the barrel proofers. Just can't find love for the yellow, though.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Four Roses single barrel selections actually and believe me I tried. Just have always preferred the Small Batch.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Weller 12 - I have bought it 3 times over the last year and just didn't like them at all. They start out okay on the palate and then you get this weird coconut and creosote taste midway through and on the finish. I even tried mixing it in some egg-nog and ruined the whole batch. I had to throw it out. It tastes like scotch not bourbon.

OGD BIB - I can't remember the taste other than it's nothing like the 114 which I love. I've bought in on at least two different occasions and came to the same conclusion.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Weller 12 - It tastes like scotch not bourbon.
    I agree with this. I've had a few bottles and I like it very occasionally as a change of pace pour, but I have never lost any sleep not being able to find a bottle of Weller 12.

Most wheated bourbons would fall into this category for me, in fact. The Weller line and Maker's in particular. Just not my thing, I suppose.

Advanced Taster

Evan Williams Single Barrel. Yes, I know it's a single barrel, and not an inherently consistent product, but I've tried 4-5 versions since 2005, including retailer bottlings, and not one of them has made any impression on me. They've all just tasted like, well, bourbon. I'm always amazed when I read other people's detailed tasting notes on EWSB -- my cast-iron tongue can't find much of anything in there. And that's fine, but for an annual single barrel release, I guess I expect something more.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    I'm right there with ya! I tried to like 4R YL for 3/4's of a bottle. I finally gave it to my brother to throw in his Coke...lol. I'm a big fan of Ezra 101. Hell, I even like the 90 proof Ezra. 4R YL is just a bourbon I can't get into.... at all.

Virtuoso

The cult favorite OGD 114 leaves me non-plused. Tried it many times but just can't love it. OGD 114 by ND is another story, love it

Virtuoso

I honestly cannot stand EC12. I pick up this floral component that just turns me off completely to it every time.