Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Old Fashioned recipe?

I've never had an Old Fashioned. Thinking about trying to make one. Does this recipe sound right to you?

2 oz bourbon whiskey
    2 dashes Angostura® bitters
    1 splash water
    1 tsp sugar
    1 maraschino cherry
    1 orange wedge

Mix sugar, water and angostura bitters in an old-fashioned glass. Drop in a cherry and an orange wedge. Muddle into a paste using a muddler or the back end of a spoon. Pour in bourbon, fill with ice cubes, and stir.

He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Re: Old Fashioned recipe?

Are you supposed to mash up the orange and cherry into a sugar paste?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Old Fashioned recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I've never had an Old Fashioned. Thinking about trying to make one. Does this recipe sound right to you?

2 oz bourbon whiskey
    2 dashes Angostura® bitters
    1 splash water
    1 tsp sugar
    1 maraschino cherry
    1 orange wedge

Mix sugar, water and angostura bitters in an old-fashioned glass. Drop in a cherry and an orange wedge. Muddle into a paste using a muddler or the back end of a spoon. Pour in bourbon, fill with ice cubes, and stir.

This sounds about right. I have never muddled the cherry though. Would add a little sweetness to the old fashioned. I prefer to use blood oranges but any will work. Also best to use the organs peel to rub across rim of glass and drop in cocktail. Not sure it adds anything but my favorite bartender always does it that way. For the sugar and water try to get water warm so the sugar dissolves properly. Just a little water will do. You can also get simple syrup at the liquor store to do the same. It is normally cheap and easy. Grab yourself some different bitters to mix the cocktail up from time to time.

Mike

Virtuoso

Personally, I like the most basic Old Fashioned with no fruit. Same recipe, just skip the fruit and muddling except to garnish with an orange and/or lemon rind.

It's much easier to use simple syrup than sugar and water, but if you don't mind expending a little effort in muddling the sugar and water, go for it.

I also like a lot of bitters, so I'd probably shake 5 or 6 drops in, but that's just me.

Enjoy!

Apprentice

Here's my simple syrup recipe:
    The most common syrup is the 2:1 formula, which is pretty much standard for most cocktails. To make this, simply add 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup water to a pot and gently heat until all of the sugar is dissolved. Pour the syrup into a clean bottle and it's ready to use. You don't need to boil the water when making simple syrup.

A couple of suggestions that will make your simple syrup better include adding 1/4 cup of corn syrup to the mixture. This will help prevent crystallization of the sugar, since it is a super saturated solution. The other suggestion is to add one or two ounces of vodka or neutral grain spirit to the simple syrup after it has been bottled. This will help prevent mold or bacteria from growing.

----

Once that's done, I use this Old Fashioned recipe:
    2 oz. (1/4 cup, 4 tbsp) bourbon or rye whiskey
    2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
    1/4 oz. (1-1/2 tsp, although I prefer 1 tsp) simple syrup (2:1 ratio sugar to water)
    Orange peel
    Ice cubes

In an Old Fashioned glass, add the syrup, bitters and orange peel. Use a muddler (I use back of our butter knives which have a smooth, rounded end) to gently press the orange peel to release the citrus oils. Add the whiskey and stir. Add ice cubes and stir again.

It's delicious!

Connoisseur

So, it sounds like whiskey with sugary cherry/orange flavors added, over ice

Pretty simple really.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    So, it sounds like whiskey with sugary cherry/orange flavors added, over ice

Pretty simple really.
    I like to have the Old Fashioned the old fashioned way most of the time. To do this I tend to defer to David Wondrich for suggestions.

So my suggestion, despite what Dale DeGroff might say, is if you want a fruit salad, make a fruit salad. But keep 'em out of you Old Fashioned! Save the cherries for a Manhattan and have your oranges for breakfast.

Simple syrup is simpler than using a cube of sugar but sometimes it is fun to start with the traditional cube if you want to make a little show out of it. I also tend to think of standard simple syrup as 1:1 sugar and water. A 2:1 simple syrup is what I would call a "rich" simple syrup. In any case the difference between 1:1 and 2:1 can be significant so keep that in mind. I also like using Demerara sugar when I can get it. Getting it from the Demerara region of Guyana is possible but it is usually easier to find Demerara sugar from Mauritius these days.

The old fashioned "Old Fashioned"

1 cube Demerara sugar (or substitute 1/2 teaspoon loose Demerara sugar)
    1/2 oz water
    3 dashes (or so depending on taste) of bitters (Angostura or Fee Bros. whiskey barrel aged bitters are common options)
    2 oz Rye (or Bourbon for a little sweeter drink) as desired - If you want to be really, really "old fashioned" about your Old Fashioned consider subbing Bols genever (the barrel aged version is particularly nice) or a decent Cognac (I like Pierre Ferrand 1840 which was purpose made for this sort of thing to be more like Cognacs of old). That is more likely what was used back when the cocktail first came into being in the early 1800's.

Muddle your sugar cube (or loose sugar) with the water and bitters. Add a large ice cube or two (or a nice round cube) in a single Old Fashioned glass and then the 2 oz of the spirit of choice.

If you just have to get fruit involved somehow twist a thin lemon peel over the top, rub it around the rim and discard.

Another old fashioned touch that the professor notes would be to add a dash, as in the kind of dash from a bitters bottle, of absinthe along with the lemon peel for a bit of variety. Just remember a little goes a long way!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

OK, interesting recipes. Thanks for your input guys.

I'm sipping the one I just made right now. Here's what I ended up doing:

2 teaspoons white sugar mixed with about a half oz warm water. Then I put in 6 drops of Angostura bitters. Then added a small wedge of orange and two cherries, and mixed it again with the spoon. Finally, added two oz of 4Roses YL and three cubes of ice. Mixed again.

It's sweet, and fruity, that's for sure.

Connoisseur

Well that went down pretty fast.

I think I will be making more of those in the future.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Add a large ice cube or two (or a nice round cube)
    my cubes only seem to come in the angular variety.