Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Old Fashioned recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    OK, interesting recipes. Thanks for your input guys.

I'm sipping the one I just made right now. Here's what I ended up doing:

2 teaspoons white sugar mixed with about a half oz warm water. Then I put in 6 drops of Angostura bitters. Then added a small wedge of orange and two cherries, and mixed it again with the spoon. Finally, added two oz of 4Roses YL and three cubes of ice. Mixed again.

It's sweet, and fruity, that's for sure.
    Depending on how you found that one, you might want to consider cutting the sugar back to nearer a tsp and replacing your fruit with peels. You seemed to have enjoyed it as it was. However, experimentation with variables enables you to discover your ideal formula. This one may have been good, but perhaps you'll find a drier, more spirit-forward Old Fashioned sublime.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Depending on how you found that one, you might want to consider cutting the sugar back to nearer a tsp and replacing your fruit with peels. You seemed to have enjoyed it as it was. However, experimentation with variables enables you to discover your ideal formula. This one may have been good, but perhaps you'll find a drier, more spirit-forward Old Fashioned sublime.
    Yes, next time I will try it with less sugar and I'll use a higher proof whiskey or rye.

This was 80 proof 4R, but I have some 90 proof rye, and some OGD 114 that I would like to try.

Sublime sounds good. I like the sound of that.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Sounds like I'm late, but I will give my recipe anyway. I like to keep my Old Fashioned simple.

1 tsp sugar
    Just enough water to muddle the sugar, maybe 1 to 2 tsp
    Several dashes Angostura, probably about 4
    A shot of bourbon or rye
    Several ice cubes - whatever seems right for the glass

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

I use the recipe pretty much straight out of my dad's Mr. Boston Deluxe Official Bartender's Guide (1974 edition):
    Into an old-fashioned glass put a small cube of sugar, a dash of Angostura bitter, a teaspoon of water and muddle well. Add 2 oz. Old Mr. Boston Blended Whisky. Stir. Add twist of lemon peel and ice cubes. Decorate with slice of orange, lemon, and a cherry. Serve with a swiggle stick.
    I do two drops of Angostura on a sugar cube, a teaspoon of water, and mash it with my thumb. Then I swirl for an annoyingly long time to dissolve the sugar, add one ice cube and two ounces of bourbon, and there I go. That's plenty enough drink prep, so I don't bother with garnishes.

It's not something I do often, because I usually just drink my bourbon on a rock or two, or neat if it's good stuff. I wouldn't put anything nicer than EWB in an Old Fashioned, but that's just me.

Edit: if I were preparing a drink for a guest, I would be classy and use garnishes and a muddling stick instead of my thumb, but I'm the only guy I know in all of SW MI who likes Old Fashioneds, so for myself I just use my own thumb and skip the garnishes.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

Because I'm lazy - I use 1 part WT American Honey for the sweetness; and 2 parts WT 101 with several bitters shakes. Quick, easy and good

Taster

I make mine with muddled fruit -- it adds an extra dimension. Otherwise, I'd prefer to drink the whiskey on it's own without all the sugar. But that's just me.

Guru

Harry Truman told the story of when he and Bess moved into the White House she ordered Old Fashioned cocktails as their pre dinner drinks and when they arrived she sent them back with instructions they needed more whisky. This happened a couple more times when the frustrated White House chef poured Straight Bourbon over rocks and sent them upstairs. Mrs. Truman said "tell the chef this is just the way we like 'em, old fashioned".

Enthusiast

That's awesome!
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Based on some recommendations, I've been using gum syrup and Bitter Truth Aromatic bitters cocktails for my Old Fashioned recipe lately. The syrup adds a silky texture when sipping compared to a sugar cube or simple syrup, and the bitters are less artificial smelling compared to Angostura.

Enthusiast

I have a 10 oz bottle of Angostura, which for me is probably more than a lifetime supply, so I'm hesitant to ask... are other bitters significantly better than Angostura?
    Pete

I hate scotch.