Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Old Fashioned recipe?

If you mean significant in the regard that it makes a difference for the better, then yes, I vouch for Bitter Truth Aromatic bitters. I've also sampled Scrappy's Aromatic bitters. Both are superior products at a premium price (~$16 for a good sized bottle). However, the difference is not so large that it will transform a cocktail recipe that calls for Angostura. You're not missing out on much, but I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

When it comes down to it, I would be happy cutting my huge bitters collection down to Angostura, Regan's, and Peychaud's.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by steeltownbbq View Post
    Because I'm lazy - I use 1 part WT American Honey for the sweetness; and 2 parts WT 101 with several bitters shakes. Quick, easy and good
    That is a good idea.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    If you mean significant in the regard that it makes a difference for the better, then yes, I vouch for Bitter Truth Aromatic bitters. I've also sampled Scrappy's Aromatic bitters. Both are superior products at a premium price (~$16 for a good sized bottle). However, the difference is not so large that it will transform a cocktail recipe that calls for Angostura. You're not missing out on much, but I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

When it comes down to it, I would be happy cutting my huge bitters collection down to Angostura, Regan's, and Peychaud's.
    Ah, thanks for the info. I'll stick with Angostura for now, but I'll probably try something else eventually. I'll try to keep Bitter Truth in mind.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Enthusiast

I started a long time ago enjoying a sweet, fruity old fashioned recipe:

2 packets of sugar
    5 strong dashes of Angostura
    2 luxardo cherries
    1/2 orange wedge

Muddle everything

Add 3oz bourbon, 4 ice cubes and a splash of soda water

It was sweet and fruity with lots of strong flavors.

Over time I tweaked and adjusted all the ingredients as I trended to a drier, more aromatic and less fruity recipe. Currently I do:

1/2 teaspoon sugar
    4 strong dashes of Boker's bitters
    2 dashes of Fee Brothers cherry bitters

Swirl, mix and generally wait forever for sugar to dissolve

Add 2.5 oz bourbon, 3 ice cubes. Express an orange peel and rim glass.

The expressed peel and cherry bitters add great flavor without clouding the drink or having any annoying fruit in the glass.

I will slightly adjust any of the ingredients depending on my mood. I love playing around with different bitters, and sometimes I will use a rounded 1/2 teaspoon of sugar for a touch more sweetness. Flaming the expressed peel is fun too.

Advanced Taster

I've read through this topic a couple of days ago, so forgive me if I write something that's already been stated.

I'm a passionate Old Fashioned drinker, so I'm gonna share my recipe. I don't like the idea of muddling fruit into your classic Old Fashioned since I'm pretty sure that's not the way to get the best result. The main attraction in this cocktail should be the bourbon.

Since I'm kinda lazy I usually go for the sugar syrup instead of using a sugar cube (I usually have rich syrup around - 2:1 sugar/water).

1. Pour 2oz of bourbon into a Tumbler. Add 2/3 barspoon (tops for my taste) of rich syrup. If you use simple syrup (1:1 sugar/water) go for 1 barspoon. Add 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters.

2. Cut out a big orange zest, spray the essential oils over the cocktail (in order to do that, squeeze the zest over the cocktail holding it lengthwise, peel facing your glass). Twist the zest over the cocktail and then rub the edge of the glas with the peel. Drop the zest into the glass.

3. Now fill the glass up with ice and stir for 30-45 seconds.

4. Repeat what you did with the orange zest with a lemon zest (no need for too big a zest this time around, also no need for rubbing the edge of the glass, we don't want too much lemon aroma in this).

5. No more stirring needed, that's it. Enjoy!

Apprentice

I agree that simpler is better. Plus, I'm lazy. My Old Fashioned is some rich 2:1 simple syrup (less than a full spoon, more than half - this isn't an exact science), 2-3 dashes of bitters, 2-4 oz of bourbon or rye. sit all that before adding one big rock. I use Tovolo King ice cube trays to make 2" square cubes, so I can use more whiskey. Again, I'm lazy.

I like higher proof whiskeys for this - Weller SB blend, OGD 114, ECBP, Ritt BIB.

Angostura is the gold standard for bitters in Old Fashioneds. I also like Dead Rabbit's Orinoco bitters (made by Adam Elmegirab), Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged, and Berg & Hauck’s Jerry Thomas Cocktail Bitters.

Enthusiast

I have about 85-90% of a 10 fl oz bottle of Angostura bitters, and I figure I probably won't run out until after I die. Maybe I'll try something different after that.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Thanks to @steeltownbbq's idea, last night I came up with a tequila Old Fashioned variation. A shot of Camarena, about 1/2 oz of triple sec, a couple of dashes of bitters, and ice cubes. It was good.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

I like higher proof whiskeys for this - Weller SB blend, OGD 114, ECBP, Ritt BIB.

Picked up my first bottle of OGD 114 this week, in fact the first I've seen in my area so later today after trying some neet you can bet I'll be using your recipe.

It's not lazy, it's efficient.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    I have about 85-90% of a 10 fl oz bottle of Angostura bitters, and I figure I probably won't run out until after I die. Maybe I'll try something different after that.
    I don't how adventurous your palate is for cocktails, but here's a surprisingly tasty drink to use up that Angostura, the Trinidad Sour:

Trinidad Sour
    1 oz Angostura bitters
    1 oz orgeat
    ¾ oz fresh lemon juice
    ½ oz rye, such as Ritt BiB

Shake well with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.