Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Old Crow -- Samuel Clemons liked it...

Around here they don't either. According to our merchants EW BIB doesn't move very well and I suspect it's because Evan Williams black label has the right combination of price/quality and a couple dollars more isn't justified for the non enthusiast buyer. That and one doesn't wish the family to think they're too fond of drink because they buy the stronger stuff.

Connoisseur

Not really on point, but as I was browsing today, someone asked me to hand them a bottle of WT101. I said 'good choice' and he replied he really likes the 81 better - less bite. I said 'you're allowed to water this down to taste, you know'.

Connoisseur

Enjoying the EWB love. It's my "entry level" brand as well, and haven't seen much love for it lately. Too many fancy special release discussions going on lately.

Really wish my stores would get the Bonded variation as well. We only have the Black Label and SB.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Not really on point, but as I was browsing today, someone asked me to hand them a bottle of WT101. I said 'good choice' and he replied he really likes the 81 better - less bite. I said 'you're allowed to water this down to taste, you know'.
    There was a post on SB some while back about a lady who returned a bottle of WT101 because she had intended to buy the WT80. Just shows that what is obvious to you is not clear to everyone else.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

If you happen upon any 80's Old Crow or earlier, I suggest you get it. The ND product I've had, while I wouldn't put it above it's OGD and Col. Taylor brethren, is still quite good. The modern expression is to be avoided, by all means. I'm paraphrasing, but I believe bourbonv once said, "Beam should be put on trial for what they did to Old Crow".

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I'm bottom shelf shopping now.
    Exploring bottom shelf is fun. Get to try a variety of products and some are surprisingly good. I've got some $4 bottles I like better than some $40 bottles. Problem with lower shelves is inconsistency. Ya get one bottle that's pretty good, go back for another and it's pretty dang bad and mixers can't kill it. Definitely educational.

AAA and Benchmark satisfy many folks. Have ya tried Mattingly & Moore?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    Have ya tried Mattingly & Moore?
    I drank a couple handles of that (mostly in mixes), and I eventually came to the conclusion that I find it to be suspiciously sweet.
    Pete

I hate scotch.