Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Five Fathers Pure Rye Malt Whiskey

Thanks for the nice comments on the label. It is a one year old pure malted rye. As Tom says, it is young, but we were surprised at how quickly it matured in 53 gallon barrels. I won't say much about tasting notes as we prefer to let everyone give their own take, good, bad, or otherwise. At 110 proof it does have some spice to it for sure. The Five Fathers are our great great grandfather, H.E. Pogue I, the founder of the H.E. Pogue Distillery, then H.E. Pogue II, H.E. Pogue III, H.E. Pogue IV, and, just to be different, our father, John P. Pogue, Sr., who many of you may have met. The lower part of the label is taken from an old advertising poster from the late 1930s. It will be a limited offering with distribution in Kentucky to start, and is being released from the distillery next Wednesday, May 1. We will certainly have some at KBF in September as well. If I can navigate this I will post a picture of the bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pogue View Post
    Thanks for the nice comments on the label. It is a one year old pure malted rye. As Tom says, it is young, but we were surprised at how quickly it matured in 53 gallon barrels. I won't say much about tasting notes as we prefer to let everyone give their own take, good, bad, or otherwise. At 110 proof it does have some spice to it for sure. The Five Fathers are our great great grandfather, H.E. Pogue I, the founder of the H.E. Pogue Distillery, then H.E. Pogue II, H.E. Pogue III, H.E. Pogue IV, and, just to be different, our father, John P. Pogue, Sr., who many of you may have met. The lower part of the label is taken from an old advertising poster from the late 1930s. It will be a limited offering with distribution in Kentucky to start, and is being released from the distillery next Wednesday, May 1. We will certainly have some at KBF in September as well. If I can navigate this I will post a picture of the bottle.
    Fantastic! You gotta give some space to ID your ancestors names on the label. I'm going to be sure to pick up and try a bottle JUST because your history is legit. Thanks for lending historical legitimacy to an industry that sometimes makes it up on the fly.
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."

Enthusiast

Old Potrero has put out some exceptional whiskeys that were rather young all-rye-malt products, so I will not be surprised at all if this stuff is much better at one year than you'd expect from whiskey.

If you've never had it, malted rye whiskey has a unique and very distinctive taste---a whole different thing from a traditional straight (unmalted) rye, and definitely worth trying.

Guru

Thanks for the information Peter, I like the Old Potrero style of pure malt rye whisky and I expect I will enjoy Five Fathers as well.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Pogue View Post
    Hoping this will eventually make it to Texas. While I don't get as worked up as some about some of the questionable stories out there, it is really refreshing to see som real history as well! I think rye can be really good even when young and have never had a malted rye, really hoping to try some of this!

Okay, I'm sold. I'm excited to try this head to head with Catoctin Creek.

Guru

Was thinking about heading to the distillery to pick one up tomorrow, but looks like they're all booked/sold out. Next time or somewhere else.

Always feel free to send me a PM and we will get you in anytmie. That is one of the "perks" of being a SB.comer.

Guru

So membership does have its privileges! When do you guys do tours? Or by anytime do you mean...either way, thanks for the offer. Will probably take you up on that!

Enthusiast

Saw this for the first time today. Didn't want to pull the trigger on it since it was $40 for a 375ml. Has anyone had this and have any thoughts?