Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Nominations from the control states

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    We used to get Ten High as a straight here not too long ago. With a little hunting, you could probably find some.
    Good to know.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Virtuoso

The question for SBers in control states is, what are you glad that you can get even though your state limits your choices?
    I'm happy with all the bourbon we can get in Ohio. Obviously, I would like more to choose from, but that doesn't seem like it will ever happen.

As far as what I would like to get? It would be nice if we could get ALL of the FR products instead of the three standard releases. I'd like to be able to get ETL.... I've never tried it. I'm sure there are many I'd like to get that I can only read about on here.

Can someone in the know please tell me what determines what the state will allow or not... and why?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I'd like to be able to get ETL.... I've never tried it. I'm sure there are many I'd like to get that I can only read about on here.

Can someone in the know please tell me what determines what the state will allow or not... and why?
    I found ETL at Weiland's in Columbus. Chris, the manager, seems to be interested in moving the control agents off their behinds to better serve bourbon consumers.
    As for determining what goes on in the mind of bureaucrats, good luck with that. My local merchant says he has a customer who wants Hennessey Black but the state won't let him sell it because he is "in the wrong democraphic." Wouldn't it be nice if the customer were allowed to decide what demographic he wanted to be in?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Taster

Vermont is pretty hit or miss. The selection isn't huge, but I guess it's not bad for a state with only 500,000 people. Some prices seem high, some prices seem low. I think when the prices are low sometimes it's because the product has been sitting in the warehouse for 10 years or more, then they hike the price when they order more from the wholesaler and realize it is now a lot more expensive. That happened with Dickel #12 a few years ago, price jumped from $12 to $24 after it was unavailable for a few months.

The big frustration is in dealing with the state. I sent them an email a few months ago asking if any of the 84 proof Maker's Make made it's way to Vermont. Never even got a reply to that email. I actually threatened them (in a very polite way) with the Freedom of Information Act last year to get a spreadsheet of what they had in inventory.

A few weeks ago I was at a local store and the guy working there was complaining about dealing with them trying to order Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project bottles. He wanted certain barrel numbers and they wouldn't even tell him what they had. He tried to make requests for certain ones on his order, but they just sent him whichever random ones they grabbed. When the state had the BTEC a few years ago (rediscovered barrels) they made no distinction between the 17yr, 19yr and 21yr. I actually didn't even know it was the rediscovered barrels until they got to the store that I asked to special order one for me. Luckily the guy at the store ordered 6 bottles, and they got a 21, two 19's and three 17's. Of course I won't complain about the fact that they were somehow priced at $22 a piece. Yes, I took one of each.

I'm only an hour drive from the closest store in Hew Hampshire. It's also a control state, but it seems to be a little better run and with slightly lower prices. They actually post each product's inventory online for each store and update it daily, so if I'm after something special I can see how many bottles are in which stores. I used that to track down a Stagg a few years ago when I couldn't get any in my home state.

But there are times that I get frustrated and just wait until I'm visiting my parents in the Boston area to go whiskey hunting.

Advanced Taster

I agree with other folks from Michigan. Michigan has a pretty good selection. Michigan shares the same allocation problems that all other states deal with for the limited bottlings like Pappy and BTAC. But there are some bottles I wish we could get here. It downright breaks my heart that Four Roses Small Batch Limited 2012 was not available here. I found it odd after Four Roses Single Barrel Limited 2012 was available. I have sent two emails to Four Roses and the Michigan Liquor Control Commission pleading with both parties to make sure all future Four Roses limited bourbons are offered for retail in Michigan. I only got a response from the MLCC after my first email. Four Roses did not respond to either email. I'm pretty disappointed with that. I have not heard one word about FRSB Limited 2013 being available in Michigan.

I would also love to see Vintage and the Willett Family Estate bottles available in Michigan as well.

Connoisseur

Responding to my own OP, although I can't get AAA, VOB, or OWA in OH, I am really glad that I can get Old Ezra 101 for a little over $14. Enjoyed a couple of pours on the swing this afternoon under an uncharacteristic blue Ohio sky. Nice to get that dark chocolate-coffee hit. Another value pour by my lights.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.