Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dunwoody, GA
    Posts
    744

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    TPS... wow thats some insane shipping charges. Have never bought from there but was about to jump on the AAA 10yr to try it out since that seems nonexistent outside of KY, but shipping was more than the bottle. I'd have to be making a massive purchase for that to ever work out.
    Their shipping gets better with additional bottles. I think you need to order a minimum of 6 to make it worthwhile unless it's a bottle you just have to have. Their handling is pretty impressive. They pack their stuff in very thick cardboard and surround each bottle with a ton of bubble wrap. They do a good job.

  2. #22
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    623

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    So it's not actually transported out of Kentucky?
    That is correct.

  3. #23
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,089

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Rats, I must've lost the second half of that post. What I meant to say was: So it's not actually transported out of Kentucky? Well then other State or Federal laws apply.

  4. #24
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, Kentuckiana
    Posts
    47

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Rats, I must've lost the second half of that post. What I meant to say was: So it's not actually transported out of Kentucky? Well then other State or Federal laws apply.
    Correct, and it is plenty legal under other states' laws. But the very state where we produce most of America's native spirit is stuck in the dark ages of alcohol regulation. And it's not just with distribution and shipping. Distillers get hit hard with taxes and fees that are unique to Kentucky.

  5. #25
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    801

    The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    I know it is something the new ABC administrator wants to look at.
    Damn good thing I live 10 minutes away!!


    Mike

  6. #26

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromLou View Post
    Correct, and it is plenty legal under other states' laws. But the very state where we produce most of America's native spirit is stuck in the dark ages of alcohol regulation. And it's not just with distribution and shipping. Distillers get hit hard with taxes and fees that are unique to Kentucky.
    Pulled this from website. So they are shipping from indiana but saying the transaction happened in the state of Kentucky? So they must be transporting the bottles to Indiana for shipping? Or they could simply be putting an Indiana return address in case they come back since shipping to KY is illegal.


    T​he Party Source, a licensed retailer in the State of Kentucky, transfers ownership of your alcohol beverage products, and any other products that you purchase, to you immediately at the time you place your order. All purchases are being transacted in the State of Kentucky. If this purchase is for delivery outside of the State of Kentucky, you authorize us to have your alcohol beverages or other purchases shipped on your behalf by a common carrier for delivery as requested by you. You understand that this carrier is acting as your agent as the owner of the alcohol beverages or other products.


  7. #27
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    770

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Let's not nag a workhorse to death. I've had a good amount of locally unavailable whiskey sent from there to here and don't want anyone to entice curtailment of the practice.

  8. #28
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    57

    The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Their shipping gets better with additional bottles. I think you need to order a minimum of 6 to make it worthwhile unless it's a bottle you just have to have. Their handling is pretty impressive. They pack their stuff in very thick cardboard and surround each bottle with a ton of bubble wrap. They do a good job.
    I'll also add, that Party Source is hardly making extra money off their shipping charges. As someone who handles shipping orders at a liquor store, i'll point out the UPS fees are greater for alcohol than a standard package. Alcohol requires "over 21 delivery confirmation" which adds $7-8 before even weighing a bottle. Factor in liquid-filled glass bottles and heavy-duty packaging and the shipping costs climb.

    I think amazon.com and similar online vendors have spoiled us, because they absorb some shipping costs and negotiate cheap rates with carriers. But smaller stores can't do that. I mean, if our store charged $10 flat shipping or similar we'd lose so much money it would be pointless to sell online or ship.

  9. #29

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOakMonster View Post
    I'll also add, that Party Source is hardly making extra money off their shipping charges. As someone who handles shipping orders at a liquor store, i'll point out the UPS fees are greater for alcohol than a standard package. Alcohol requires "over 21 delivery confirmation" which adds $7-8 before even weighing a bottle. Factor in liquid-filled glass bottles and heavy-duty packaging and the shipping costs climb.

    I think amazon.com and similar online vendors have spoiled us, because they absorb some shipping costs and negotiate cheap rates with carriers. But smaller stores can't do that. I mean, if our store charged $10 flat shipping or similar we'd lose so much money it would be pointless to sell online or ship.
    Not to mention Amazon fills up a UPS semi truck trailer and delivers to the local UPS sorting facility themselves, effectively cutting out an entire step in the shipping process.

  10. #30
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Capital City of the South
    Posts
    267

    Re: The Woes of a Liquor Entrepreneur: Or why liquor laws suck hard.

    Yeah, its true. I've been Amazon prime member as long as they've offered it and I'm very spoiled.

    Their scales are nuts, my boss has a side business that deals with mail order and he says due to how much business they do they can send next day cheaper than normal biz can do ground.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. DC Liquor?
    By MonsterMashBill in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 06:23
  2. GTS and US liquor laws
    By jcusey in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 13:13
  3. OKC Liquor stores
    By Isoflex in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 17:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top