Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Well I think you've directed me towards my next new bottle of whisky. Especially if it compares to the Longrow 10/100!
    Yeah, Aaron - knowing what you've enjoyed so far, I think you'll really dig Hakashu 12. It's not a peat monster - just an incredibly well constructed pour. It's "tight and crisp" - just really well made, with a nice balance of green fruit and smoke (with some vanilla and mild oaky flavors). I'm pretty confident based on our past conversations that this will be something you really like.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it - but Chicago should be well stocked.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Yep. I'm searching on Japanese sites but they're hard to find there as well.
    If you find something - let me know! Maybe we can split shipping, LOL.

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    If you find something - let me know! Maybe we can split shipping, LOL.
    Found one @ 118pf
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Just poured some Laphroaig Triple Wood. I keep going back and forth on this one . . . one time I really like it, the next time not so much.

Fortunately, today it's a plus!

Enthusiast

Springbank 10 100 proof and Bruichladdich "Laddie 10" tonight.

A little Ardbeg Provenance tonight, while very good, I might say that I am a little disappointed or perhaps this is another example of my taster not quite being up for something this complex yet. That said, I read Serge's notes and get the same things in the finish he mentions pretty much spot on.

**edit. Now that I have finished the healthy pour of the Provenance I'll say it is very damn good whisky, but can't help noticing a strong resemblance to the finest Stitzel Weller bourbon, makes me wonder if part of this was aged in ex S-W casks.

Also had a pour of Port Charlotte cask 967 bottled by Malts of Scotland, another very good whisky, and hard to believe it is only 8 years old.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 05-04-2013 at 23:36.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

Glenfarclas 21 while enjoying the wonderful spring weather,just a great dram light sweet entry of fruit just enough balance of sherry influence and a touch of aged wood bringing up the finish,a most enjoyable dram that truly defies its age.Thanks again Josh,great stuff well balanced and just a damn fine pour!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Glenfarclas 21 while enjoying the wonderful spring weather!
    I need to try some of this soon
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I'm still working on this bottle of Highland Park 12. It's surprisingly good and complex for a middle shelf scotch. Yesterday I had a little and tasted sea creatures in it.

Now, I understand this was made on one of the Orkney islands, and the barrels are probably sitting in an open air warehouse for 12 years, but for it to pick up even a subtle note of the essence of ocean is amazing to me.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Yeah, Aaron - knowing what you've enjoyed so far, I think you'll really dig Hakashu 12. It's not a peat monster - just an incredibly well constructed pour. It's "tight and crisp" - just really well made, with a nice balance of green fruit and smoke (with some vanilla and mild oaky flavors). I'm pretty confident based on our past conversations that this will be something you really like.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it - but Chicago should be well stocked.
    I found it easily enough nearby for $60. First impression, very nice. Definitely more interesting than other Japanese I've tried. It's a bit on the sweet side for me, though, and it brings this green apple jolly rancher profile. The smoke gives me something to chew on, but it still leaves me with too much sweet. Definitely a tight little pour, but as to whether it merits a repeat buy from me, I'll have to see if I can get over the sweetness by the end if the bottle.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--