Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Quite a few compliments of TomH. He picked these up from Masters of Malt.

Attachment 15342Attachment 15343

We first sampled the new Talisker Storm. I like it. The nose and finish are fantastic. Nice subtle peat with a good dose of ripe fruit. Mangos dominated. The palate wasn't as great as I'd hoped for. The peat took over and tended to overpower the dram. Very well rounded and silky though. Lots of Talisker character to like. I'd pick up a bottle if I could find one for $50ish.

Ardbeg is really disappointing me as of late.
    I too am looking forward to the Talisker Storm - cant wait for it to make a showing stateside!

Pure speculation, but reviews of the Ardbog (Ardbeg Day) have been mixed... Driscoll's blog raves about it while is German blog says he can't get past the tar (gives it a 5/10 - nice to see somebody use a larger range in the scoring scale):

http://www.eyeforspirits.com/2013/05...rdbog-im-test/

Galileo was disappointing as well but I hope this trend doesn't continue.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 05-10-2013 at 12:19.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    You started a thread titled: "Top Shelf Scotch - Highland Park 18 VS 15?" where you stated:
    Also, is this one heavy on the peat?
    I really don't like a heavily peated scotch.

If you "really don't like a heavily peated scotch" Lagavulin (either the regular 16 year old or the Distillers Edition which is essentially the 16 finished in ex-sherry casks) would be the last thing you would want to buy.

On a scale of 0 (no peat smoke) to 9 (sticking your head in a column of smoke generated by burning wet peat) Highland Park would rate about 3-4, Lagavulin 7-8!!!
    Thanks for that information. Crossing it off the list...
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Thanks for that information. Crossing it off the list...
    I'd say give it a try first if you can - the peat is subdued or muted by the sherry finish on the Lagavulin DE IMO (will acknowledge its still there).

It's really quite delicious though.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Tried some of this (Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask / Cask Strength):

My "To-Buy" list keeps getting longer and longer and longer...

Advanced Taster

Sipping on The Hakushu 12 by Suntory and I have to say I'm extremely impressed.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Connoisseur

I opened one of my 2002 Macallan cask strength bottles yesterday. The bottle has a truly hideous label, a bright unnatural red, but I didn't have to hide it, as the cork broke and I had to decant it into an ORVW10 bottle. Then I noticed that it's an even uglier bottle...

As for the whisky, it's delicious. I was nervous because the version from 2009 or so was a rubbery mess, but this is a clean, rich malt and sherry bomb. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a good Macallan, no real difference in the flavor profile with the higher proof, but what flavor is there is a bit more intense.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I opened one of my 2002 Macallan cask strength bottles yesterday. The bottle has a truly hideous label, a bright unnatural red, but I didn't have to hide it, as the cork broke and I had to decant it into an ORVW10 bottle. Then I noticed that it's an even uglier bottle...

As for the whisky, it's delicious. I was nervous because the version from 2009 or so was a rubbery mess, but this is a clean, rich malt and sherry bomb. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a good Macallan, no real difference in the flavor profile with the higher proof, but what flavor is there is a bit more intense.
    Rubbery? That's a first for me.

Like when a big truck slams on brakes on the highway and you are a couple cars behind?

That sounds hideous.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Rubbery? That's a first for me.

Like when a big truck slams on brakes on the highway and you are a couple cars behind?

That sounds hideous.
    It sure is. It's a lot like you described but without any tar or asphalt. Boy, this sounds ridiculous

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Perfect example of how people's tastes differ so much. I've tasted over 200 single malt scotches, many I would not buy due to price but the Deanston virgin oak is probably the only one I would never buy again - regardless of price!
    Well now you've got me on the "relative to the 12 yr" line of thinking again. I might have to reconsider!

Advanced Taster

It's interesting to see how much drinking can help to sort through one's personal preferences. My first Scotch was Talisker DE. I was quite taken with it in the beginning but now that I can identify flavors beyond 'yum', it doesn't have nearly as much appeal and I find myself reaching for the 10 yo before the DE.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Monkey Shoulder I originally paid little mind now sits happily in my glass.