Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Lonach 36 Year Blend… after breathing for about a day, its improved greatly.

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Fantastic juice. Love me some SB! The Claret finish is one of the best I've ever had. I'm hoarding my last bottle.

How would you describe the taste on this one? There are a few at my local store and I've thought about buying one as I really like SB, but the few...and I do mean few...wine finished Single Malt's that I've had I wasn't a huge fan of.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Whisk(e)y View Post
    How would you describe the taste on this one? There are a few at my local store and I've thought about buying one as I really like SB, but the few...and I do mean few...wine finished Single Malt's that I've had I wasn't a huge fan of.
    You didn't ask me - but I turned Josh on to it - along with many others.

It's awesomeness in a bottle.

It's got all the rich, briny & citrusy character that shines through in non-finished Springers, but the Claret finish, IMHO, adds nicely to this - it's got wine characteristics to be sure, but the wood wasn't overly winey, and neither is the whisky.

The peat smoke is kept well in balance (as typical with a Springer), and mingles succulently with the dark red fruits brought on by the Claret. It's got a luscious, rich mouth-feel.

This isn't a sherry or port finish; so it's not "sweetened up," nor is it a burgundy or other dry/tart red wine that can lead to some bitterness or sulfur-like qualities. Having gone through about 6 bottles of this, I can't say why more folks wouldn't use Claret casks for finishing. Totally additive, not destructive.

If you like high quality coastal/briny malts with a touch of peat (Springbank), at CS (over 100pr), and can appreciate the nuances of red berries, stone fruit and good wood aging, then you will like this.

BUT: If ANY hint of wine is offputting, don't buy it! However, if your concern is that it's not finished "well" versus simply being finished, then I would allay your concerns and state simply this is a winner of a scotch. I've probably gifted, or acquired for friends, between 20-25 bottles of this. Not one person has been less than thrilled.

Oh, did I mention it's gone? It was a limited production of about 9,000 bottles from well over a year ago - if you see it on a shelf, it's technically a dusty.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Whisk(e)y View Post
    Jealous!!! I would grab every one off the shelf if the price is right. This is one of my all-time favorite Springers. I thank Tim Davis for pointing this one out to me. Wished I'd have grabbed a lot more. Here are my official tasting notes.

Springbank 12yr Claret 54.4%

Nose: Lovely ripe fruit jumps out of the glass. Orange peal and citrus notes. Soft smoke and a whiff of red wine. Interesting!

Taste: Rich, creamy entry that quickly gives way to a splash of smoke and salt. Red fruit including grapes combined with a mild pepperiness unfolds mid-palate. A bit salty on exit.

Finish: The layers are beginning to unfold. A mild sweetness lingers with this long, pleasant finish. An oaky nuttiness of salty cashews hangs around on the back of the palate.

Rating: This is an excellent pour. Complex, well rounded, and full of layers. The smoke, fruit, and wine play well together and give this one a nice balance. I'm scoring it a 91.

Christian, here's a picture like you requested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    You didn't ask me - but I turned Josh on to it - along with many others.
    Lol, you beat me by about 30 seconds. See post above.
    Josh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Lol, you beat me by about 30 seconds. See post above.
    HA! You are my brother from another mother. Our review notes, albeit different formats and slightly different word choices, are about 95% identical, too...

Smoke, citrusy, red fruit, solid wood expression... LOL

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    HA! You are my brother from another mother. Our review notes, albeit different formats and slightly different word choices, are about 95% identical, too...

Smoke, citrusy, red fruit, solid wood expression... LOL
    I know! It's seriously kind of scary.

I guess great palates taste alike!
    Josh

Disciple

Heading to a Scotch tasting of 6 single malts. Tonight's menu includes:
    Bunnahabhain 8 yr, Shieldaig (local retailer's private line) assortment (Speyside NAS, Speyside 12 yr, Speyside 18 yr, and Highliand NAS), and Glen Grant 16 yr. 6 pours + snacks for $20 - should be fun! Really hoping to find something that hits me right in this private line (since the pricing is very attractive - from $17.99 to $39.99 for the 18yr).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Starting off the night w an Aberlour A'bunadh. I really, really love this stuff.

Disciple

Was impressed enough with the Shieldaig Highland NAS Single Malt that I hit the store on the way home from the tasting. I love Laphroaig/Ardbeg, and this had quite a bit of peat (but not as much iodine/medicinal). Only 40% ABV, but for $18 - probably the best Scotch I've had for under $20 (if you like peat).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins