Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Cracked a Redbreast 12 CS. I am becoming fond of some tasty Irish.

Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Had a nice pour of Knappogue Castle 12 Yr last night. It was quite tasty--much better than my first pour a few weeks ago. I had literally taken the open bottle from my cabinet, and put it in the bunker. Stumbled upon it in the bunker last night, and gave it another shot. Glad I did, as it is a nice single malt. Not my favorite style, but a good Irish whiskey at around $35.

Connoisseur

Had another healthy pour of Redbreast 12 CS. Have a feeling this bottle won't last long.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Had another healthy pour of Redbreast 12 CS. Have a feeling this bottle won't last long.
    I have yet to run into one of the cask strength. I'm a fan of the normal 12, so I'm really looking forward to trying it in its not watered down form.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I positively ripped through my first bottle in record time. Whereas, I really liked the regular Redbreast, the Cask Strength offering takes this whiskey to another dimension. In my Top 5 whiskies of any kind.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Haven't really gotten into Scotch YET. Probably because all of my previous experiences have not been very memorable until now. On a friends recommendation, picked up the Balvenie 17 year Doublewood. Damn, it was tasty! Any other recommendations close to this profile or bottles to branch out and try?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JVande View Post
    Haven't really gotten into Scotch YET. Probably because all of my previous experiences have not been very memorable until now. On a friends recommendation, picked up the Balvenie 17 year Doublewood. Damn, it was tasty! Any other recommendations close to this profile or bottles to branch out and try?
    Probably a long list! The more experienced whisky drinkers here may have some better suggestions.

You are starting out at kind of the higher end of basic consumers range. Distilleries tend to have their own distinct profile and so the Balvenie 12yo doublewood is also nice and would be somewhat similar at half the cost. But if you like a finished Highland/Speyside style whisky you might consider the trio of Glenmorangie finished 12yo whiskies which includes a sherry finish like the Balvenie as well as a port and sauternes finished whisky. Glenfarclas 105, Glendronach 15yo revival, Aberlour 12yo or 16yo double cask all have a sherry finish that is nice but each is likely to be a little different.

"The" Macallan is in that same general category but prices for that have generally gone up based on the name as much as the contents. A Macallan 12 probably cost nearly what the Balvenie 17 does and the Mac 17 is likely twice as much.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Opened my Amrut Fusion (India). They import peated barley from Scotland and also use barley from the Himalayan foothills. They distill and age them separately. Then they marry them. Although they say they're looking for subtle peat, it's pretty peaty, but I like that. It's really smooth. Maybe smoother with a little water added. I got to try it at Binny's Whisky Night before Whiskyfest, so I knew I liked it.
    I think the Sherry cask was the other one I tried and liked, but didn't buy that one.

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Bowmore 12 tonight. good peat level. quite smooth and rich with a little water added
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

Lonach 36 Year Old Blend… continues to improve over the last several weeks.