Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Because it may not be available much longer, I sprang for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label. Every 3-4yrs I venture to a whiskey other than bourbon and I am instantly reminded why it will be another 3-4yrs until I venture away from bourbon again: only bourbon does it for me.

My quick and dirty impression of the green label: smooth and good, clearly a quality product, but I can't get over how much it tastes like a tequila/bourbon blend.

Its ok, this bottle of JW GL will have a home tucked in the back of the bar for a long time to come and will eventually be revisited. Someday.

Guru

Trying the Aberlour Abunad'h 40 and 41 again. Still like both with the 40 winning out this time by a nose, as it were. Then finished off with a bit of the Talisker 175th. Excellent as always!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

On a trip to Alaska and my drams this evening were limited to the 50ml bottles in my 1-quart TSA approved bag. I had a black grouse for the first time - enjoyable. And I'm finishing the night with a Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. The Nectar is my favorite entry level Glenmo by far. Great way to start off a trip.

A bit of Scapa 12.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    this bottle of JW GL will have a home tucked in the back of the bar for a long time to come and will eventually be revisited. Someday.
    I have a few JW Greens packed away for a rainy day. My best friend keeps a bottle open on his bar, and I think I'm the only one who ever drinks it (about 2oz. every 4-6 months, so it's mostly still there). I really love the nose on Green, but I can't ever love drinking it. It's good, obviously a quality product, but knowing exactly what's in it I'd much rather have a sip of any constituent single malt.

I opened up one of my Longmorn 17 year sherry cask bottles last night. First drink was very good, but not amazing. It's a sherry bomb as I think it was intended, and considering the price I'm inclined to compare it to younger offerings like A'bunadh, Glenfarclas 105, and Macallan CS. It's lighter on the palate than any of the three, and less sweet with a bit more spice. The thinner mouthfeel gives way to a massive and lasting finish which is by far my favorite part of this whisky so far. It's not as complex as you might hope, and my inclination is that an official 17 year Glenfarclas or Aberlour CS would probably blow this away. But if you can ignore the expectation of great depth from a 17 year bottle I think this is an excellent sherry bomb at an excellent price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    Because it may not be available much longer, I sprang for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label. Every 3-4yrs I venture to a whiskey other than bourbon and I am instantly reminded why it will be another 3-4yrs until I venture away from bourbon again: only bourbon does it for me.

My quick and dirty impression of the green label: smooth and good, clearly a quality product, but I can't get over how much it tastes like a tequila/bourbon blend.

Its ok, this bottle of JW GL will have a home tucked in the back of the bar for a long time to come and will eventually be revisited. Someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I have a few JW Greens packed away for a rainy day. My best friend keeps a bottle open on his bar, and I think I'm the only one who ever drinks it (about 2oz. every 4-6 months, so it's mostly still there). I really love the nose on Green, but I can't ever love drinking it. It's good, obviously a quality product, but knowing exactly what's in it I'd much rather have a sip of any constituent single malt.
    I have a couple of JW Greens tucked away as well. As much as I like the individual malts, Talisker and Caol Ila in particular, I can find a place for the Green as well.

Had never thought about it as a bourbon/tequila combo but that sounds pretty good to me. After all most tequila spends time in a bourbon barrel anyway. Will have to try another sample of the Green to see.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

All of the recent talk of Japanese whiskies got me hankerin' for my favorite. So, a scrumptious pour of Nikka From the Barrel.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Last night was a couple of healthy pours of an indy bottling of 22 year old Mortlach.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Last night was a couple of healthy pours of an indy bottling of 22 year old Mortlach.
    Chieftain's? If so, I am enamored with the one by KL.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Can't seem to stay out of the Talisker 175th Anniversary bottle. Mighty fine whisky!

May finally break into the 2004 25yo CS Talisker this weekend for a little comparison of different Taliskers.