Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Follow-up to the 1:1 vatting of Clyenlish 14:Glendronach 15 CS Cask 2045:

I am smelling some brine, raisins, faint soy sauce, and generic fruit cotlets/turkish delight with some nuttiness, and a little freshly peeled ruby red grapefruit.

In the mouth, Clynelish leads off with the waxy brininess & faint citrus then Glendronach follows up with the light smoke, cacao & dried fruits - the sweet/salty combo gives an "umaminess" and finishes off with more dusty cacao & wisp of smoky bitterness.

Utterly delicious - I'm going to play with the proportions a little more and back off some on the Glendronach and maybe add a dash of something peaty.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 07-06-2013 at 21:54.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

At a friends last night and he had the final pours of a Glenrothes Three Decades bottling he'd picked up at travel retail.

It was incredibly tasty. Loads of honey, sweet malt, rich flavors with a hint of mint. Wasn't much left to really dive into, but have to say it was the least over-sherried Glenrothes I've had. No idea on the price point or availability, but it was definitely an excellent pour.

(then we finished off a bottle of Baby Saz)

Advanced Taster

Compass Box Spice Tree on this rainy evening in Columbus.

Guru
    A little summertime sippin' w/ fellow SBr LB:

Good drams & company - the best way to drink!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

What did you think of the Mortlach? Have been considering trying to find a way to get a bottle despite its rather spendy cost.

I thought the Glendronach 1995 was excellent based on the little bit I have been able to try thanks to you!

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    A little summertime sippin' w/ fellow SBr LB:

Good drams & company - the best way to drink!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Yes, more about the Mortlach, please.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, more about the Mortlach, please.
    That Mortlach is a very good whisky. When I pulled it out of the package, I was shocked by the deepness of the ruby red color - it is natural color (it says so on the label), I was worried this might mean too much sherry and overly sweet; this is not the case. The sherry is not sweet, but is very rich with dark fruit qualities. Nice baking spices in the mix too.

They definitely pulled it out of the barrels at the right time. It is close to being overly woody; thankfully it does not cross that line for me, but I can see how some might not care for this quality. The wood on the palate is nice, but the tail end of the finish starts to become a little tannic and bitter. I get a little sulphur out of the Mortlach. It is the kind of sulphur that gives it a delicious salty meat quality and not the kind from a bad candle that turns it into a sulphury mess.

For being nearly 60% it drinks very easily and water opens it up and makes it even better. It is a rich dram for sure, small pours will suffice - that said, this particular bottle may go fast. In my opinion, it crushed the Glendronach 15 PX that is also pictured (and the Glendronach is a very nice whisky). I would also take this over a Macallan of similar price. I was dubious because of the hype, but I think Driscoll picked a good cask here. As much as ChainWhip liked it, I bet his bottle will also be missing a bunch shortly.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 07-10-2013 at 12:03.

Disciple

That Glendronach 1995 is pretty fantastic. PX cask, dripping with all the quality sherry notes that I enjoy, with none of the off notes that can often be found. Nice looking group of bottles ChainWhip.

Guru

Was gifted a bottle of Old Pulteney 21 last week and will be cracking that baby tonight. As a big fan of OP12, I'm really looking forward to sampling this bottle.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Will revisit the Chieftain's Mortlach 22 tonight - I'm getting more but it's just a question of how many more.