Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Thanks for all of the help. I've had Laphroaig 10 (hated it), Lagavulin 16 (was OK, but not my thing), Lagavulin 12 CS (pretty tasty, but not worth the price for me) and Springbank (I like it when the mood hits). It sounds like the HP and Talisker might be the next steps.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Thanks for all of the help. I've had Laphroaig 10 (hated it), Lagavulin 16 (was OK, but not my thing), Lagavulin 12 CS (pretty tasty, but not worth the price for me) and Springbank (I like it when the mood hits). It sounds like the HP and Talisker might be the next steps.
    Ardbeg is more smoke forward where Laphroaig brings in more earthiness and Lagavulin more medicinal flavors. Depending on what you liked/didn't like about the others, that could be a good or bad thing.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 3 & 6, followed by a wee small pour of KL Chieftain's Mortlach 22 - my first bit of whisky in about a week and BAM did it kick my @$$... small pours each but man are these Scotches hitting my sweet spot right now!
    Slumming it, eh? You need to throw some B+ rated Canadian Mist Peach into that mix to class it up a little.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Ardbeg is more smoke forward where Laphroaig brings in more earthiness and Lagavulin more medicinal flavors. Depending on what you liked/didn't like about the others, that could be a good or bad thing.
    Hmm. I find Lagavulin to be the more earthy whisky and Laphroaig to be the most "medicinal" (for lack of a better term) single malt on the planet. Laphroaig is certainly an acquired taste for most folks but a whisky well worth revisiting until you've gotten used to it. Don't give up on it quite yet, Max. You will be well rewarded in time by its unique charms.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

I'm finding lately that the peaty whiskys are a lot less peaty to me. I'm getting a lot more sweetness from them than I first did. I think I'm getting use to it but it's pretty surprising. Anyone else experience this?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bootlegger1929 View Post
    I'm finding lately that the peaty whiskys are a lot less peaty to me. I'm getting a lot more sweetness from them than I first did. I think I'm getting use to it but it's pretty surprising. Anyone else experience this?
    Similar experience for me.
    Peat/smoke can be overwhelming at first but (if you enjoy the taste) the more you drink of it the less prominent the peat/smoke become and the more of the underlying flavours you pick up.

Connoisseur

I'm more likely to keep trying the peaty/smoky malts than I am the smoky mezcals. Those just seem to give me a headache immediately. I will agree with Laphroaig being the most medicinal to me. I can see myself ever enjoying that. Lagavulin was much better to me.

Back to the topic of the thread. I went anti-peat last night and sipped some Glendronach 12. Simple with tons of sherry, but so delicious.

Enthusiast

Having some Jamison Gold Reserve tonight. This is my first time to try Irish whiskey. It's good. I'm not a fan of the peaty moss taste of some of the Scottish whiskeys.

Connoisseur

Glenfiddich 15. A very nice value for it and a really nice example of a tasty speyside.

Connoisseur

Peat or sweet? I'll take both, thank you. Lagavulin Distiller's Edition finished in PX sherry casks.