Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

I started with a nice glass of Lagavulin 12yo CS from 2011 last night. The fruit in the malt stood out to me and makes such a great balance with the focused smoke of the salty, sulphuric peat. I'll be sad to retire this bottle. It scratches an itch that's not going anywhere anytime soon, but $90 is a steep price to pay for a bottle I'd like to never be without. So I'll probably have to be without it after all.

I moved on to a few pours of Longmorn 15. Much of the cork ended up in this dusty bottle upon opening, but any negative influence from this (whether real or imagined) has dissipated because I was enjoying the hell out of it last night. The sherry influence is unlike anything I've had before with silky raisins and prunes balanced by sweeter strawberry jam and nutty figs. I know I saw another one of these on a shelf somewhere around here... Where was it?!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I started with a nice glass of Lagavulin 12yo CS from 2011 last night. The fruit in the malt stood out to me and makes such a great balance with the focused smoke of the salty, sulphuric peat. I'll be sad to retire this bottle. It scratches an itch that's not going anywhere anytime soon, but $90 is a steep price to pay for a bottle I'd like to never be without. So I'll probably have to be without it after all.

I moved on to a few pours of Longmorn 15. Much of the cork ended up in this dusty bottle upon opening, but any negative influence from this (whether real or imagined) has dissipated because I was enjoying the hell out of it last night. The sherry influence is unlike anything I've had before with silky raisins and prunes balanced by sweeter strawberry jam and nutty figs. I know I saw another one of these on a shelf somewhere around here... Where was it?!
    I haven't had a Longmorn but Ralfy really loves the 15 and 30 yr old. http://whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/search?q=Longmorn Definitely one to keep an eye out for when looking in a shop with excellent selection.

Guru

It's been a good number of years since I've had Longmorn 15 but the memory is fond and the retail price I paid 20+ years ago would bring tears to a grown man's eyes today.

Connoisseur

Yamazaki 12, a nice whisky.

Enthusiast

Just can't get enough of the Hakashu 12. Pears, Granny Smith Apples and just enough smoke to make it richer and almost savory. Super sweet and balanced, but the peating takes this to entirely new level. The flavors are distinctly Japanese when you know what it is, but blind? 9 times out of 10 I'd call it as an exceptional Campbeltown malt.

The craftsmanship on this one is excellent. A real score for anybody who likes the sweet vs. savory flavors in some finished & mild smoke Islays or the traditional Springbank-style bottles. No peat monster here - it's all about balance.

My dream now is to find a CS version of a Hakashu...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Just can't get enough of the Hakashu 12.

Sipping on Hakushu 12 right now and am so very impressed with this dram - hunting for a CS or Sherried version right now actually
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sipping on Hakushu 12 right now and am so very impressed with this dram - hunting for a CS or Sherried version right now actually
    And now moving on to a small pour of Longrow 10.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

I don't believe they exist in the states - the rep told me there was some limited stuff in Japan, but that what we have in that 12 year is all that's in the US.

FWIW: Longrow 10/100 is another legendary pour as well. It's an all time fave of mine!

Virtuoso

Just can't get enough of the Hakashu 12. Pears, Granny Smith Apples and just enough smoke to make it richer and almost savory. Super sweet and balanced, but the peating takes this to entirely new level. The flavors are distinctly Japanese when you know what it is, but blind? 9 times out of 10 I'd call it as an exceptional Campbeltown malt.

The craftsmanship on this one is excellent. A real score for anybody who likes the sweet vs. savory flavors in some finished & mild smoke Islays or the traditional Springbank-style bottles. No peat monster here - it's all about balance.

Sipping on Hakushu 12 right now and am so very impressed with this dram
    FWIW: Longrow 10/100 is another legendary pour as well. It's an all time fave of mine!
    Well I think you've directed me towards my next new bottle of whisky. Especially if it compares to the Longrow 10/100!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

I don't believe they exist in the states - the rep told me there was some limited stuff in Japan, but that what we have in that 12 year is all that's in the US.

Yep. I'm searching on Japanese sites but they're hard to find there as well.

Need to add the Longrow 10/100 to the list too (love the Longrow 10)