Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I'm still working on this bottle of Highland Park 12. It's surprisingly good and complex for a middle shelf scotch. Yesterday I had a little and tasted sea creatures in it.

Now, I understand this was made on one of the Orkney islands, and the barrels are probably sitting in an open air warehouse for 12 years, but for it to pick up even a subtle note of the essence of ocean is amazing to me.
    That's one of the beautiful things about Scotch whisky, especially Islay, Campbeltown, and the Islands. So much brine, and sea, and a million little nuances that sneak in during the much slower maturation close to the sea. I think I read that no whisky is ever aged more than 40 miles from the ocean in Scotland. That's probably not true exactly, but it has to be close.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I found it easily enough nearby for $60. First impression, very nice. Definitely more interesting than other Japanese I've tried. It's a bit on the sweet side for me, though, and it brings this green apple jolly rancher profile. The smoke gives me something to chew on, but it still leaves me with too much sweet. Definitely a tight little pour, but as to whether it merits a repeat buy from me, I'll have to see if I can get over the sweetness by the end if the bottle.
    That green apple quality is something I really like. The majority of European reviewers seem to recall pears on it, and I do get that too, but I get far more apple, personally.

Yes, it's sweet, but not cloying (at least to me...). Totally recalls a Springbank or Highland park-type flavor. The general quality is excellent.

Hopefully it'll open up for you and you'll enjoy it a bit more. It's getting harder and harder to find... I'm sending Bourbon Greg a few bottles tomorrow.

Guru

This is one I almost grabbed at TPS last weekend. Bit of a split opinion, it would appear. Only one way to be sure though.

Guru

I am having some Japanese whisky however, to follow up this amazing smoked pork ramen we had for dinner. A little Hibiki 12, and Yoichi 15.

Connoisseur

Vacationing in Mexico, and the selection of scotch is limited. Been sticking to tequila mostly, but took a double pour of Glenfiddich 12 back to the room to go with a Cuban cohiba. Doing just fine with it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    That's one of the beautiful things about Scotch whisky, especially Islay, Campbeltown, and the Islands. So much brine, and sea, and a million little nuances that sneak in during the much slower maturation close to the sea. I think I read that no whisky is ever aged more than 40 miles from the ocean in Scotland. That's probably not true exactly, but it has to be close.
    Having some more of this HP12 right now. Looking at the bottle I see that half of it is GONE! Zounds!

Maybe I should slow down a tad wee bit.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

2011 Lagavulin Distiller's Edition - been wanting to try this and thanks to LostBottle's generosity, was able to enjoy some of this peated & sherried deliciousness... The end result is another expression added to my "to-buy" list :-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    2011 Lagavulin Distiller's Edition - been wanting to try this and thanks to LostBottle's generosity, was able to enjoy some of this peated & sherried deliciousness... The end result is another expression added to my "to-buy" list :-)
    Sounds good. I will keep that one in mind next time I'm browsing scotch at the local Total Wine & etc.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Sounds good. I will keep that one in mind next time I'm browsing scotch at the local Total Wine & etc.
    You started a thread titled: "Top Shelf Scotch - Highland Park 18 VS 15?" where you stated:
    Also, is this one heavy on the peat?
    I really don't like a heavily peated scotch.

If you "really don't like a heavily peated scotch" Lagavulin (either the regular 16 year old or the Distillers Edition which is essentially the 16 finished in ex-sherry casks) would be the last thing you would want to buy.

On a scale of 0 (no peat smoke) to 9 (sticking your head in a column of smoke generated by burning wet peat) Highland Park would rate about 3-4, Lagavulin 7-8!!!
    Last edited by portwood; 05-10-2013 at 05:58.

Connoisseur

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quite a few compliments of TomH. He picked these up from Masters of Malt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368204037.250434.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368204061.130494.jpg

We first sampled the new Talisker Storm. I like it. The nose and finish are fantastic. Nice subtle peat with a good dose of ripe fruit. Mangos dominated. The palate wasn't as great as I'd hoped for. The peat took over and tended to overpower the dram. Very well rounded and silky though. Lots of Talisker character to like. I'd pick up a bottle if I could find one for $50ish.

Next we sampled an Ardbeg Blasda. Rightfully named, it was very "Blah". Drank like Ardbeg vodka. Very thin, watery, and lacking much flavor at all. Ardbeg is really disappointing me as of late.

Next up was an Elements of Islay Bowmore. Quite tasty with tropical fruit again. Mangos and melon on the palate. Solid finish.

Next was Cu Dhub Black. No clue what this one is (chime in Tom), but it was weird. Kind of all over the place. TOO many flavors mixed together. I recall black licorice and syrup. It was sweet and peaty but they fought eachother. Not a good dram in my opinion but I give it a 9/10 in terms of weirdness/odd.

Next was an Auld Reekie 10yr old. I think this one might have been a blend, I can't remember. A solid pour but nothing really stood out.

Finally we ended with a Poit Dhubh 12yr. Kind of flat in my opinion with a weird, briney, pickle note mid-palate. Not bad overall but something was definitely odd in the middle.

Thanks again for sharing Tom!!!!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."