Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Balvenie 15, not bad at all.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    The Cairdeas has this level of funk to it that just doesn't sit right with me. And as with the Galileo, I just think the spirit lacks a lot of the distillery character. I know Tim likes this one but I've given it several tries now and I'm just not a fan.
    Have a 1/2 full bottle (my 3rd... and last) of Cardeas and I adore. Really surprised it's not more appealing to you, but we can't like all the same stuff, right? I just don't get why the traditional Laphroaig flavors don't jump out at you.

When Simon B (the brand ambassador) was here a few weeks ago for a big tasting thing, we tasted through a couple of nice things, and he brought some Laphroaig New Make. I swear after you taste the new make you "get" Laphroaig in a slightly different way, and those common threads between all their bottlings (including Triple Wood) become more clear. It's a white dog I'd happily pay for - so sweet, malty and smokey. Best white dog I've ever tasted (better than Kilchoman and Balcones which are the only other 2 "drinkable" 'dogs I've had...)

However, I never had an issue with the Cairdeas - it's just a rock solid pour for me... and really feels like it fits nicely in the family. Looking forward to what comes out this year....

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of Cairdeas Origin 2012 and tasted it next to an open Laphroaig 18 last year. It was a very closed off nose and had a very funky and lifeless taste, and I'm a fan of most Laph bottlings. I gave it a few more tries in the following months and wrote it off as a bad bottle. I even considered that it might be a tampered/counterfeited bottle, as the capsule is not tightly fitted to the neck. However, I just poured a mini-dram just now to see if anything has changed and it tastes fine and worthy of reconsideration. Very interesting...I don't think it was a palate issue, as I was always tasting it in a flight.

Virtuoso

I was all over the place last night. I started by opening a 12yo CS 1B Ardbeg bottled by Chieftain's. This was all tar! I only had one small pour of it, but it's definitely the tarriest Islay whisky I've tasted so far.

I wanted to go a bit more elegant after that, so I poured some old label Bowmore 17. This is some really yummy stuff: salty sherry earth. I gave it a bit too much water - I have to be careful with that. I like the way water opens up malt, but you really have to watch over-doing it to stuff that's 86°.

I had to slam on the brakes with the peaty stuff or I would have no palate left, so I poured some Hazelburn 8yo CS. I really like this stuff too, it has that clean, refreshing malty Springbank backbone with the vanilla lemon but with only a slight hint of the funk Sb brings to the table with its peat.

I ended up with a nightcap of Longrow 18yo. I like this more the more I drink it, but I think my palate needs to be primed for me to really appreciate it. It was last night. The peat really hasn't faded from this guy, it's just taken on oaky characteristics. I feel like I'm missing some power at it's bottling proof of 92°, which is too bad. This morning, the empty glass smelled heavenly!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I ended up with a nightcap of Longrow 18yo. I like this more the more I drink it, but I think my palate needs to be primed for me to really appreciate it. It was last night. The peat really hasn't faded from this guy, it's just taken on oaky characteristics. I feel like I'm missing some power at it's bottling proof of 92°, which is too bad. This morning, the empty glass smelled heavenly!
    Was your Longrow the 2012 bottling?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Was your Longrow the 2012 bottling?
    Yes I believe so.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Thx Aaron. I agree that a higher proof would really send this expression into the stratosphere.

Punted back to my old steady Talisker10 tonight.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask, on a bit of a Balvenie kick, Islays will definitely come later.

Enthusiast

Bulleit 10.....after all its not quite Noon yet.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Disciple

Spent some nice quiet time on the deck with a few pours of Lag 12yr CS and Lag 16,seems Islay was really doing it for me last night.I have to say the 12yr. made a great showing,even over my old tried and true 16yr,might just give it another go this evening.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski