Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Connoisseur

Which Ardbeg is the one to get for someone that doesn't love a HUGE smoke/peat profile? I'm trying to ease my way in.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Unfortunately I don't think there's a good answer for that. The two that spring to mind are Airigh Nam Beist and Gallileo. ANB is a dusty released from 2006-2008 and is expensive and/or difficult to find. Gallileo was the 2012 annual special release, is expensive, and is not a great whisky or a great representation of Ardbeg.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Which Ardbeg is the one to get for someone that doesn't love a HUGE smoke/peat profile? I'm trying to ease my way in.
    Of the readily available ones, I'd recommend Uigeadail as the least peat-bomb Ardbeg. Or just go with the 10 year and forget easing in.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Of the readily available ones, I'd recommend Uigeadail as the least peat-bomb Ardbeg. Or just go with the 10 year and forget easing in.
    Agree - but if you don't like huge peat, just stay away from Ardbeg until you try a lighter peat influenced style. Better places to spend your money. If you want to ease your way into peaty whiskey, I think a Bowmore 15 Darkest is nice with sherry to balance the peat, or try a blend with some peat like a Buchanan's 12 y.o.
    Last edited by sutton; 09-17-2013 at 13:20.
    Mark

Connoisseur

Thanks for the help. I'd heard good things about the Uigeadail, but wasn't sure how much of a smoke bomb it was.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Agree - but if you don't like huge peat, just stay away from Ardbeg until you try a lighter peat influenced style. Better places to spend your money. If you want to ease your way into peaty whiskey, I think a Bowmore 15 Darkest is nice with sherry to balance the peat, or try a blend with some peat like a Buchanan's 12 y.o.
    Totally agree - if you want to "ease" into Peat, you shouldn't start at Ardbeg (or Laphroaig, or Caol Ila, or Lagavulin...). These are peat monsters and made for people who like that kind of thing.

That said, when I started on Scotch, I was advised to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 to see what my tolerance to the extremes were. So I did, and I've never looked back. I'd guess less than 10% of all my Scotch purchases since that day have been totally unpeated. But that's me... and in retrospect, it could have gone very badly.

It's up to you - either head straight for the deep end (Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 - usually cheap enough you won't be pissed if you hate it, can both be found around $40), or pick up a lighter peated malt like Springbank 10 or 12 CS (which almost everybody loves - even peat haters) or look for some traditionally non-peated brands that occasionally offer up something with a hint of smoke (Bruichladdich, Benriach, Tomatin, etc.).

Talisker 10 is more smokey & peppery than "peated" - which is a nice middle ground. Doesn't have the medicinal qualities of your typical Islay peat bomb. Highland Park 12 is another very lightly peated pour that tends to score well with most folks.

So... if you want to dive in: Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10
    If you want to put in your whole foot - Sprinbank 10/12CS or Talisker 10 (Bowmore Darkest noted above - but it's not a great whisky, in general IMHO).
    If you want to just dip your big toe try Highland Park 12 or Bunnahabin 12 (super light peating)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Thanks for the help. I'd heard good things about the Uigeadail, but wasn't sure how much of a smoke bomb it was.
    It's of my all-time favorite standard bottlings. I love the higher ABV, the peat + the sherry. I'm a total sucker for all the peaty/sherry scotches out there (mostly they are Distiller's Editions). But Uigie is a winner for me. Can't recommend it highly enough *IF* you love peat... It's as peaty as the 10, Cory, etc. - it's just got the sherry thing happening alongside it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    If you want to just dip your big toe try Highland Park 12 or Bunnahabhain 12 (super light peating)
    Second this...I'd avoid Ardbeg if you don't like big peat. The two go hand in hand.

I wasn't sure how I felt about peat. Thought I didn't like it. But I decided I WANTED to like it so I bought Ardbeg 10. Since then I've added Laphroaig Triple Wood and Caol Ila 12. Like me some peat. The Caol Ila is decent intro to the heavier peated style that's easier to tackle than Ardbeg IMO and could be a good place to start. HP12 is also great. Lots of flavors with that hint of peat.

Guru

Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 3 & 6, followed by a wee small pour of KL Chieftain's Mortlach 22 - my first bit of whisky in about a week and BAM did it kick my @$$... small pours each but man are these Scotches hitting my sweet spot right now!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof