Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Finished off a bottle of Bruichladdich "Laddie 10". I enjoyed this dram and will replace it.

Enthusiast

I don't get into this side of the forum often, but I had to share this one. I was recently introduced by a friend to a Duncan Taylor bottling called The Octave- this one is a cask strength 12 yo Linkwood. It was simply one of the best whiskies of any kind that I have ever had. Well balanced and incredibly smooth. My tastes don't run to the peated side, so those who prefer that may not like this; but I would encourage anyone to give this a try if you can find it. Apparently there is also a Cragganmore The Octave that is also very good, but I haven't tried that personally yet.

Guru

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

I think Linkwood is one of the base malts used in scotch blends - I haven't had to chance to try it yet but need to give it a whirl next time I'm at the bar.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 05-31-2013 at 04:27.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I don't get into this side of the forum often, but I had to share this one. I was recently introduced by a friend to a Duncan Taylor bottling called The Octave- this one is a cask strength 12 yo Linkwood. It was simply one of the best whiskies of any kind that I have ever had. Well balanced and incredibly smooth. My tastes don't run to the peated side, so those who prefer that may not like this; but I would encourage anyone to give this a try if you can find it. Apparently there is also a Cragganmore The Octave that is also very good, but I haven't tried that personally yet.
    The entire Octave range is good. Octave casks are like 1/4-1/8 sized casks that they use at some point for this line up. There's probably at least 2-3 dozen expressions from almost all the big distilleries in the Octave lineup, but i think fewer than 1/2 of them make their way over here.

Most tend to be excellent. I've had 8-9 different bottlings and each was worth the price.

Pictures of some of the distilleries they offer:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5659357&type=3

Guru

One doesn't come across Linkwood very often, it's usually found in private bottlings as the bulk of the distillery's product goes into blending. The Flora & Fauna 12 year old is a light, fragrant, floral, complex whisky along the lines of Glenmorangie. I would stay away from the 'finished' expressions if I was looking to find the true character of Linkwood.

Virtuoso

I was feeling a little strange after a Winter of peat-opia, I wasn't really interested in the Islay style lately. Poured a few glasses of Laphroaig 10 Year CS batch #4 this week, and promptly changed my tune.

I have been drinking mostly bourbon all Spring and into Summer, and I'm now understanding how the peat can be off-putting to some after their palates have acclimated to the American style.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I was feeling a little strange after a Winter of peat-opia, I wasn't really interested in the Islay style lately. Poured a few glasses of Laphroaig 10 Year CS batch #4 this week, and promptly changed my tune.

I have been drinking mostly bourbon all Spring and into Summer, and I'm now understanding how the peat can be off-putting to some after their palates have acclimated to the American style.
    The two styles are so dramatically different some people can never get acclimated to scotch after only drinking bourbon. I have no real trouble shifting gears, probably because I started drinking scotch whiskey before I drank bourbon.

Bourbon tastes as mild and as sweet as a desert in comparison to a real man's whisky.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Real men drink what they damn well please.

Virtuoso

I think that's the exact definition of what a real man chooses to drink.

Enthusiast

Every single day of the year is made for Islay pours. And also Bourbon. And Rye. And other Scotch.

Just never for Vodka... no such thing as a Vodka day for me... I prefer my water without alcohol.