Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Was at the local county fair and a procession of bagpipes came marching by my family. Kinda put me in the mood for some scotch. Springbank 12 CS for me tonight.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    That Glendronach 1995 is pretty fantastic. PX cask, dripping with all the quality sherry notes that I enjoy, with none of the off notes that can often be found. Nice looking group of bottles ChainWhip.
    It's such an excellent one for use in blends too - in fact, I think I prefer it cut with Clynelish.

It's just so dense and sweet that it begs to be vatted.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru
    Night 2 with KLWines Chieftain's Mortlach 22:

Allergies wrecking my sense of smell tonight :-(

I taste generic dried fruits (I do get some sweetness initially) & wood (then transitions into a tannic dryness), a flitter aged balsamic vinegar, bitterness surfaces near the end - almost black tea-like finish... There's really a lot going on and it's difficult to parse out all the sensory inputs.

Adding two drops of water really makes the mouthfeel buttery - the above mentioned flavors bloom on the tongue with faint smoke & cured meat.

The wood is admittedly prominent but it works for me as it just tiptoes up to the line of being overoaked but is just on the right side of that line. This changes a lot over the course of a small pour and I seem to pick out something new with each pour - from my perspective if you are a tea lover, this is right up your alley.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru
    The previous outstanding dram is followed by this tonight:

Samaroli Evolution 2013 for TIBS
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 07-10-2013 at 22:50.

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Ardbeg Alligator tonight.

Virtuoso

Pouring the last of a bottle of HP12. Pretty good stuff, though I got a mini bottle of the 18 with the purchase of the 12 and I certainly prefer the 18 over the 12.

Connoisseur

Digging through some old CS Signatory bottles for an extended happy hour...two Caol Ila, Bowmore, Port Ellen, and some other randoms that I don't know how to spell. Wish I could find stuff like this now. Thank god for old fogies who were into scotch when I was in high school.

Guru

Has it been confirmed that the JW Green is being phased out? It came up last year but there still seems to be plenty on the shelves.

Guru

I think price is what's keeping it there.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Has it been confirmed that the JW Green is being phased out? It came up last year but there still seems to be plenty on the shelves.
    My understanding was that the JW Green that remained was going to focus on US (and possibly Japanese?) markets until it was gone and that no more would follow. That is why it apparently is still pretty available here for now. Low sales and the fact that it is an all single malt vatting with no grain in the blend seem to be the main culprits.

Although I still see it around too I would assume there is not much more, if any, coming so if you want it better get it! I might go get another just because.

http://www.scotch-tasting-bums.com/B...he_Sunset.html
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum