Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

It was long time to close that huge thread and start a new one, so I'll start it off with what I had last night.

A little taste of Ardbeg Corryvreckan, followed by some Caol Ila Cask Strength (Distillery bottling) which is pretty much my go to favorate CS other than Uigea maybe. And then had some St. Magdalene 19 year which I just don't get, maybe my pallate isn't sophisticated enough yet, but I just don't see what Johannes saw in this whisky to be one of his all time favorites. Hopefully as I experience more SM I'll better appreciate things I don't pick up yet.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Re: What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Perhaps it's the whisky rather than your palate. I learned a long time ago there will be some single malts I won't care for no matter how much some others may like them.

Guru

Finally had a chance to try Kavalan last night. I really enjoyed all of the offerings, but really enjoyed the fino bottle. Also found a great old friend, Nikka Coffee grain.

Connoisseur

Might have some Balvenie Double-Wood later today.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Taster

Checked out a new wine and spirits store here in Knoxville TN http://www.corkstn.com/site/ called Corks and bought another Glenfiddich 15 for about $60. Their Scotch and American whiskey selections are pretty small at the moment, but they plan to increase it considerably over time. Lots of people seem to dismiss Glenfiddich as just an entry-level whisky (using terms like "accessible"), but I think its just about the best Scotch around for my money. The 12 is good, the 15 is great, and the 18 is back to just good, imo.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Virtuoso

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Finally had a chance to try Kavalan last night. I really enjoyed all of the offerings, but really enjoyed the fino bottle. Also found a great old friend, Nikka Coffee grain.
    Kavalan was the highlight of WhiskyFest for me. I really liked all of their CS offerings.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

Does anyone have any thoughts on Deanston Virgin Oak (8 yr.)? I tried it recently at Binny's World of Whiskey and it stood out to me. I tried their 12 yr. after and preferred the 8, so I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it for its own merits or just relative to the 12. Nonetheless, at $30 for a tasty unchillfiltered single malt, I'm planning on grabbing a bottle soon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Deanston Virgin Oak (8 yr.)? I tried it recently at Binny's World of Whiskey and it stood out to me. I tried their 12 yr. after and preferred the 8, so I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it for its own merits or just relative to the 12. Nonetheless, at $30 for a tasty unchillfiltered single malt, I'm planning on grabbing a bottle soon.
    Perfect example of how people's tastes differ so much. I've tasted over 200 single malt scotches, many I would not buy due to price but the Deanston virgin oak is probably the only one I would never buy again - regardless of price!

Advanced Taster

ardbeg corry tonight.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Enthusiast

What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring 2013 ...

Macallan 12. First Scotch in over a year. Trying to get back into it and this is a good place for me to start.