Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

Would like to hear your thoughts on the Black Bottle.

Guru

Posted most of this in the wrong thread.

Just back from the store where I spoke with my favorite whisky monger. While HP 12 and 15 are still on the shelf at 43% he confirmed the next batch will be quietly lowered to 40%. Decided to get the 15 to compare to the 18 I have.

JW Green still on the shelf for $56 for a 750ml and $74 for a liter while it lasts! Couldn't resist and picked up a liter as a "keepsake" (which doesn't mean I won't drink it!).

Also found a 15yo Mortlach from Gordon & Macphail supposedly finished in sherry and decided I it was a cheaper option than chasing the 22yo from K&L who can't ship to me anyway (Had been debating attending the the WhiskyFest in SF and using that as an excuse to go to the Bay area. Will have to see if I still want to do that now).

Finally while there I picked up a bottle of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm to try. Have liked what they are doing so far and figured why not.

Also still debating this one that I noted earlier but leaning towards getting it.

Caol Ila.JPG

Anybody have any experience with it?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    Which one? Big Peat?

I liked it well enough from a bottle I had 2yrs ago - don't remember much about it now but kind of got lost in my push into Bourbon & Rye
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Dewar's Scotch 18 Year 750ML @ 54.99
    Powers John Lane 12Yr 750ML @ 63.00
    Mark

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Which one? Big Peat?

I liked it well enough from a bottle I had 2yrs ago - don't remember much about it now but kind of got lost in my push into Bourbon & Rye
    Judging by what he named his jpeg I'm pretty sure he meant the Cheiftan's Caol Ila 17yr of which I have no experience, but would grab my attention too if I saw it on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Would like to hear your thoughts on the Black Bottle.
    I've had a small pour so far and I wasn't quite sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. In the $20 range it hit me as an Islay 2 or 3x as expensive. It's reminiscent of an Ardbeg. A fair amount of peat and smoke but with a sweetness that muted any of the less pleasant Islay aspects that are often in cheaper/younger bottles.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Judging by what he named his jpeg I'm pretty sure he meant the Cheiftan's Caol Ila 17yr of which I have no experience, but would grab my attention too if I saw it on a shelf.
    Yes, the Chieftain's Caol Ila. If it is still there I will likely go get it tomorrow. Seems like the potential for a good deal for $70.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Yes, the Chieftain's Caol Ila. If it is still there I will likely go get it tomorrow. Seems like the potential for a good deal for $70.
    Picked up the Chieftain's Coal Ila 17 today (along with the Goldrun Rye). They had two of the Caol Ila left so I took a chance and got them both.

Coal Ila_Goldrun rye.JPGChieftains Caol Ila back.JPG

It is not colored and for 17yo whisky it is pretty pale. At 86 proof a little more proof would be nice but it is non-chill filtered at least. Doesn't say what barrels it saw other than they use a "wide variety" of oak, including sherry, bourbon, port and rum. Doesn't say if all 4 were used for this bottle.

Guru

Had purchased the G&M Mortlach 15 and then yesterday saw a G&M Linkwood 15yo on the shelf. Talked myself out of it yesterday but this morning I talked myself back into it since it was the only one on the shelf. So it was back to the store we go.
    Linkwood Mortlach.JPG

For some reason seem to have a major scotch thing going on this week. Not sure why!

I did come across a bottle of Bourye that also picked up.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Posted most of this in the wrong thread.

Just back from the store where I spoke with my favorite whisky monger. While HP 12 and 15 are still on the shelf at 43% he confirmed the next batch will be quietly lowered to 40%. Decided to get the 15 to compare to the 18 I have.

JW Green still on the shelf for $56 for a 750ml and $74 for a liter while it lasts! Couldn't resist and picked up a liter as a "keepsake" (which doesn't mean I won't drink it!).

Also found a 15yo Mortlach from Gordon & Macphail supposedly finished in sherry and decided I it was a cheaper option than chasing the 22yo from K&L who can't ship to me anyway (Had been debating attending the the WhiskyFest in SF and using that as an excuse to go to the Bay area. Will have to see if I still want to do that now).

Finally while there I picked up a bottle of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm to try. Have liked what they are doing so far and figured why not.

Also still debating this one that I noted earlier but leaning towards getting it.

Caol Ila.JPG

Anybody have any experience with it?
    In Ralfie's latest vlog re JW Gold he mentions that he may have been given "wrong" info from a whiskey insider regarding the JW Green line. It may not be going anywhere, but they probably benefited from a jump in sales. He went on to remind everyone that such rumors from "insiders" are not always what they appear to be.

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.co...lker-gold.html

See the 12:00 mark.
    Last edited by Jono; 07-15-2013 at 14:38.

Guru

Just out on a beer run but couldn't resist the Talisker 10 on sale for $45. I sure love the stuff and who could argue with that price?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet