Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That Rye looks very attractive.
    Picked them up last night. Plan to crack them open this evening. The "100" rye is a bit gimmicky (100% milled by Dutch Windmills???) but if it tastes good it won't matter! Aged in new American oak, presumably uncharred, which should be interesting.

Dutch whisky 2.jpegDutch whisky 1.jpeg
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

These may just have to make an appearance at the upcoming GBS gathering!
    We hope so! We'll drink anything...

If it completely sucks, Jimmy can always use it in his pyro-show...
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 06-26-2013 at 09:16.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    We hope so! We'll drink anything...

If it completely sucks, Jimmy can always use it in his pyro-show...
    Tried them last night and I think they will avoid the pyrotechnical display! The rye was particularly interesting with a hint of sweetness, plenty of rye spice, nice mouthfeel and a surprising drinkability at 100 proof.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Added another Barry Crockett Legacy while at TPS. Looking forward to the trying the 21yo Redbreast although the price will likely be substantial I imagine. If it is less than half the Legacy that would be tolerable.
    Also added 2 Laddie Bere Barley and another Glendronach 15 yo Revival since neither is readily available locally.
    Finished up my tour of Islay with Ardbeg. Couldn't decide between the Uigeadail and the Corryvreckan so using the SB philosophy naturally I got both!
    Picked up 2 more Greenore 15yo Irish as that one may not be around much longer either.
    Finally as a pure impulse buy I picked up a Penderyn Sherrywood finish I saw at TPS to compare with the standard Penderyn Madiera cask finish I have at home.

Other than a bottle of rum on another impulse buy I think that was it from the Sampler trip!
    I wondered where that other bottle of Penderyn sherrywood went. I picked up a bottle on the way to the sampler. Those 2 bottles had been sitting there for several months. I discovered it existed in January right after I visited TPS during a trip to Cincy. Glad they both went to good homes!

Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I wondered where that other bottle of Penderyn sherrywood went. I picked up a bottle on the way to the sampler. Those 2 bottles had been sitting there for several months. I discovered it existed in January right after I visited TPS during a trip to Cincy. Glad they both went to good homes!

Thomas
    I confess I haven't gotten around to opening it yet but was thinking I would bring them both to the GBS extravaganza this weekend. I can't compete with the fantastic old bourbon's and ryes that many others have so I try to bring a little change of pace in case anyone is interested!

Plain-old Ardbeg 10 year. My second bottle, and I'm thinking this might become a regular feature in my home. Makes for a good counterpoint to my other regular pour (Bulleit).
    Words go here.

Connoisseur

A bottle each of Balcones Texas Single Malt and Brimstone, late 2012 bottlings. The single malt is lovely stuff. I recommend any scotch lovers try a dram. Having trouble comparing it to anything. Maybe a sweeter, maltier, more viscous, Old Pulteney?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    A bottle each of Balcones Texas Single Malt and Brimstone, late 2012 bottlings. The single malt is lovely stuff. I recommend any scotch lovers try a dram. Having trouble comparing it to anything. Maybe a sweeter, maltier, more viscous, Old Pulteney?
    I find Old Pulteney to be on the saltier side. Can the same be said about the Balcones? I see it all the time down here, but I am having problems buying it blind. If you really do find it similar to the OP, I might be better off skipping.

Virtuoso

Trey, is your Single Malt a hand-written ABV or printed? I've had a bottle of each, and found the printed ABV to be decidedly younger tasting. Still enjoyable, but more "overpriced curiosity" than the real exciting and complex flavors in the hand written bottle. My assumption is that there were small out-turns of the most mature malts going into the small hand-written batches, then there was a significant uptick in orders following the big international press Balcones got earlier in the year.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post
    I find Old Pulteney to be on the saltier side. Can the same be said about the Balcones?
    No, I wouldn't call it salty. Stewed pears and mangos, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Trey, is your Single Malt a hand-written ABV or printed?
    The Single Malt is handwritten 53%. The Brimstone is printed. Both have handwritten back labels, though.