Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    The Single Malt is handwritten 53%. The Brimstone is printed. Both have handwritten back labels, though.
    Does it denote the batch number? Something like 12-3?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

Picked up a bottle of Powers John's Lane and a Glenrothes 1994.

Guru

Picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 41 on a bit of a whim based on a recommendation of a scotch drinking friend. Had seen batches from 40-45 but this was the first time I had seen a 41 which was the specific recommendation. Was the only one on the shelf so home it went.

Also saw a Chieftain bottling of 17yo Caol Ila for $70. Seemed like a decent price but left it on the shelf for now.
    Caol Ila Chieftains.jpeg

Also saw a Cadenhead bottle of scotch but I got distracted and didn't get any details about it. A good reason to go back!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 41 on a bit of a whim based on a recommendation of a scotch drinking friend. Had seen batches from 40-45 but this was the first time I had seen a 41 which was the specific recommendation. Was the only one on the shelf so home it went.
    Interesting your "friend" recommended a batch that among the maltheads has received the worst reviews. Example:
    http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle...Batch+#41'

Virtuoso

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

Curious about your opinion on the 41. I loved it, and it led me to look more into the A'bunadh range. But people across the spectrum hated it and screamed "SULPHUR!!!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Does it denote the batch number? Something like 12-3?
    Single Malt is 12-8 (9/27/12)
    Brimstone is 12-9 (10/11/12)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Interesting your "friend" recommended a batch that among the maltheads has received the worst reviews. Example:
    http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle.jsp?bid=15853&bottling=Aberlour+'A'bunadh+B atch+#41'
    A bit disconcerting to be sure. But having tasted other things he has recommended I would rather take my chances on his recommendation than people I don't know at all. And he also knows a bit about what I like and don't like. But it is always a bit of a risk. At worst I don't like it and give it to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Curious about your opinion on the 41. I loved it, and it led me to look more into the A'bunadh range. But people across the spectrum hated it and screamed "SULPHUR!!!"
    Yes, he mentioned it had a bit of sulfur which kind of made it interesting as I have not had much whisky with a sulfur component. We shall see!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I got to pilfer through my local store's shelves yesterday and found two dirty old bottles with '08 price tags on them. They were buried in the bourbon section so must have been missed during some inventory shift.

Don't know anything about them but he was surprised to see them and said he didn't think you could get them any more. I'm sure they're fairly unremarkable but with 2008 pricing at ~$24 I decided to roll the dice on them. Haven't been able to find much info on them so far. Anyone know anything about them?

IMG_1441.jpg

The Ardbeg Rocket was parked out front too and the promotions team was giving away $5 discounts and t-shirts so I picked up a $64 Uigeadail for $59 since I was planning on buying at some point anyway. He was really pushing the Ardbog describing all the aging and vatting processes and flavor profiles, but I'm really not interested at this point.

Grabbed a Black Bottle too as I've been interested in finding a value priced blend I really like. Picked up some bourbons too, of course.
    IMG_1435.jpgIMG_1442.jpg

Guru
    Wine Rack in San Jose?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Ledger's in Berkeley