Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 634
  1. #381
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    500

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    I'm back traveling on the east coast and picked this up today thanks to a heads up from another SBer. I'm not sure the exact production date range but I'm hoping its old enough to taste different from the current 10 year offering. Though even if not for a total price of $53 I could not complain.

    Talisker.jpg

  2. #382
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I'm back traveling on the east coast and picked this up today thanks to a heads up from another SBer. I'm not sure the exact production date range but I'm hoping its old enough to taste different from the current 10 year offering. Though even if not for a total price of $53 I could not complain.

    Talisker.jpg
    Can't wait to taste it! ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  3. #383
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Went to Trader Joe's today and saw something I hadn't seen there before. Pardon the bad photo:



    Picked it up for $20. As you can see it's simply "Distilled and Bottled in Scotland." That's as specific as they get. Tasting it, it isn't all that bad to be honest. Lacks the complexity and refinement of a Laphroaig or Ardbeg of course. But I can't afford to drink either of those too often! I think this one will do when I want some Islay but can't splurge on the "real thing."

  4. #384
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Went to Trader Joe's today and saw something I hadn't seen there before. Pardon the bad photo:

    Picked it up for $20. As you can see it's simply "Distilled and Bottled in Scotland." That's as specific as they get. Tasting it, it isn't all that bad to be honest. Lacks the complexity and refinement of a Laphroaig or Ardbeg of course. But I can't afford to drink either of those too often! I think this one will do when I want some Islay but can't splurge on the "real thing."
    I'm intrigued... I guess I'm hitting TJ's on the way home today. (Really, I'm not buying - I'm just looking)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  5. #385
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,538

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Clearly labeled as an Islay I'd say that is the real thing at a price a Scotsman or his descendents could appreciate. As to origin, Bowmore?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  6. #386
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Found an Islay Storm with different packaging:

    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/islay-storm/

    Only other review I've been able to find on short notice:

    http://www.reddit.com/r/Scotch/comme...rm_california/
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-12-2013 at 15:35.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  7. #387
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Found an Islay Storm with different packaging:

    http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/islay-storm/

    Only other review I've been able to find on short notice:

    http://www.reddit.com/r/Scotch/comme...rm_california/
    Interesting. Thanks for the links!

  8. #388
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sutton, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,177

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    A Blue Hanger, 7th Release, Berry Brothers & Rudd

    Have always read about this blended Scotch - looks like this release is the first to the U.S. and exclusive to the U.S. From various online sources: "Limited to only 3,088 bottles, this new variant of Blue Hanger is comprised of the following whiskies; one hogshead of Bruichladdich 1992, one butt of Bunnahabhain 1990, four hogsheads of Miltonduff 1997, and two hogsheads of Bunnahabhain Moine (peated) 2006."

    Not quite sure how this works, but I assume these were in cask until blended, maybe in 2012? So that would be a 20 yo Bruichladdich, a 22 yo Bunnahabhain, four 15 yo Miltonduff, and two 6 yo peated Bunnahabhain. A bit over 91 proof.
    Mark

  9. #389
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    A Blue Hanger, 7th Release, Berry Brothers & Rudd

    Have always read about this blended Scotch - looks like this release is the first to the U.S. and exclusive to the U.S. From various online sources: "Limited to only 3,088 bottles, this new variant of Blue Hanger is comprised of the following whiskies; one hogshead of Bruichladdich 1992, one butt of Bunnahabhain 1990, four hogsheads of Miltonduff 1997, and two hogsheads of Bunnahabhain Moine (peated) 2006."

    Not quite sure how this works, but I assume these were in cask until blended, maybe in 2012? So that would be a 20 yo Bruichladdich, a 22 yo Bunnahabhain, four 15 yo Miltonduff, and two 6 yo peated Bunnahabhain. A bit over 91 proof.
    I'm very keen to read your impressions on this - I've been eyeing this bottle for a 2014 purchase.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  10. #390
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sutton, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,177

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I'm very keen to read your impressions on this - I've been eyeing this bottle for a 2014 purchase.
    Might be this weekend - having family over and wanted to try this out on them.
    Mark

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1199
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 20:04
  2. What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013
    By Wryguy in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 326
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 12:31
  3. Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?
    By JamesW in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 1414
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 20:59
  4. What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012
    By Rockefeller in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 11:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top